Women's hockey: UND rallies late to get a tie with Black Bears

Before the season began, if someone had told UND women's hockey coach Brian Idalski that his team was down three goals after two periods, he wouldn't have been very hopeful of a win.

Before the season began, if someone had told UND women's hockey coach Brian Idalski that his team was down three goals after two periods, he wouldn't have been very hopeful of a win.

"I would have told you, if we were down by three goals, it would be pretty difficult for us to come back," Idalski said. "I think our kids are really starting to get confidence in the offensive end and really starting to develop.

"I thought that was going to be a sore spot for us. I thought we'd struggle to score goals this year a little bit and I'm pleased with the development."

For the first time since Idalski became head coach three years ago, the Sioux came back from a three-goal deficit to tie Maine 3-3 on Saturday in Ralph Engelstad Arena's Olympic Ice Rink.

It wasn't the first time this weekend that UND had to rally.


In Friday's 5-5 tie with the Black Bears -- a game in which the Sioux won the shootout behind Holly Perkins' goal -- UND trailed 2-0 in the first period and 4-3 in the third.

After a scoreless five-minute overtime period Saturday, Maine won the shootout behind Lexie Hoffmeyer's first-round score. Officially, the game goes down as a tie.

"Losing a nonconference shootout's not a big deal," Idalski said. "But to be three goals down and come back was nice. I was proud of our kids and I thought we were playing well most of the game.

"There are some ties you're not happy with, and I was happy with that one. I don't know when the last time this program's ever come back from three goals down, and that's a credit to our kids. You can kind of see things starting to click."

After allowing Maine three goals in the second period, it was UND's turn in the third. The Sioux generated only 11 shots through the first two periods, then got 11 shots on net in the third and five in the overtime period.

Jordan Slavin capitalized unassisted at 10 minutes, 1 second of the third when she picked off a pass at center ice and took it all the way past Maine goalie Brittany Ott, who finished with 24 saves. It was Slavin's second goal of the year.

"In the second intermission, we said to ourselves, 'it's not over. They got three goals in the second and we can definitely do the same,' " sophomore forward Alyssa Wiebe said. "So I think that getting that first one out of the way by Jordan helped us out and we just kept going and built momentum."

With 5:14 left in regulation, Wiebe picked up the puck at center ice and made a nice move to beat her defender and was able to get the puck past Ott. The score was reviewed by the officials and eventually called a goal.


"All I remember is having the puck on my stick and I took a shot because I knew I had girls going to the net," Wiebe said. "And I saw the light go on and I saw the puck in so I started to celebrate. Apparently the ref didn't think so, but I knew it was in."

Wiebe was assisted by Mary Loken and Megan Gilbert on the play.

Down 3-2 with just 1:18 to go and everyone expecting goalie Brittany Kirkham to be pulled for the extra attacker, Wiebe and Loken connected again. Wiebe made the centering pass to Loken, who had a wide-open look to bang the puck in for the 3-3 tie.

"We bore down," Wiebe said. "Everyone mentally started to focus and we realized it's go-time. If you don't leave everything out there this third period, it's over. So we were mentally tough."

Now that the Sioux have found consistent scoring, they're looking for a consistent goaltender.

Stephanie Ney gave up five goals Friday. Jorin Dagfinrud started in goal for the Sioux on Saturday, but was replaced by Kirkham after allowing Maine three goals in the second. Dagfinrud finished with 20 saves through two periods, while Kirkham stopped all of Maine's shots in the third and overtime periods, totaling six saves.

Early in the game, Maine had the momentum, and it seemed, the game, in its favor. The Black Bears outshot the Sioux 8-3 in the first and 15-8 in the second.

Maine had a 4-on-3 power play at 11:15 of the first and Jenna Ouellette tipped a Hoffmeyer shot five-hole for a 1-0 lead.


Jordan Colliton's shot at 14:59 bounced off of UND goalie Jorin Dagfinrud's leg and slid across the line for a two-goal Maine lead. Just under two minutes later, Dawn Sullivan got her first goal of the year when she knocked in a rebound.

"I thought we kept at it and didn't feel bad for ourselves," Idalski said. "And we had a lot of chances at the end to finish it off, so I was happy with that tie. We were much sharper today than we were yesterday."

UND is 3-6-3 overall (3-6-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association).

What To Read Next
Featuring area prep sports cancellations and postponements, local boys and girls basketball results, N.D. girls wrestling second edition coaches' poll and much more!
Featuring the prep honor roll, area college basketball conference standings, N.D. Class A and B prep basketball polls, and much more!
Featuring boys and girls hockey results from throughout the region, area prep basketball scores, boys swimming and diving results, and much more!
Manning needed 24 points to break the school record held by Kyle Sanden, who scored 1,549 points in the mid-1990s.