UND Hockey Blog: A few coaching nuggets
If you subscribe to the Herald, you saw a bunch of content in Sunday's paper about the coaching change in our special section. If not, here are some news and nuggets related to the coaching change with Dave Hakstol going to the Philadelphia Flyer...
If you subscribe to the Herald, you saw a bunch of content in Sunday’s paper about the coaching change in our special section. If not, here are some news and nuggets related to the coaching change with Dave Hakstol going to the Philadelphia Flyers and Brad Berry taking over at UND:
1. UND athletic director Brian Faison must have had an inkling several years ago that this opportunity could arise for Hakstol. In Hakstol’s contract, there’s language that specifically spells out if he gets an “NHL head coach” job, that he would owe the school $100,000. The figure changes for another NCAA team or if he was an assistant in the NHL or a head coach in any other league. Read about that here.
2. If history is any indication, expect Berry to be at UND for a while. Each of the last four coaches at UND have been here for a decade minimum. The last coach to last less than a decade was Bill Selman (1966-68).
3. Seven of the last eight UND head coaches previously served as assistants at UND. The only one who didn’t was Rube Bjorkman, who was the least successful of any. Dean Blais was hired out of I-Falls, but he previously was an assistant.
4. The assistant coach job has not been posted online yet, but Berry is already fielding quite a bit of interest in it. It will be interesting to read the job description. The new coach is very likely to coach the power play. Dane Jackson does the penalty kill.
- See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100558#sthash.Oas7SirX.dpuf