Strong second half carries D-G-F past Green Wave 22-12

Jordan Summers rushes for 169 yards and three touchdowns in the Rebels' win.

092422 EGF4.jpg
East Grand Forks' defenders Grant Burger (34) and Damian Bushaw (24) tackle Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton running back Jordan Summers in the first half Friday at Senior High.
Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald
We are part of The Trust Project.

EAST GRAND FORKS – The East Grand Forks Green Wave went into the locker room riding high, leading Minnesota Section AAA power Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 12-8 at the end of the first half. Receiving the ball first in the second half, there was a chance to compound that lead.

On the opening play of the latter half, a mishandled snap would fumble away those chances. Jordan Summers of the Rebels exploded after that Green Wave gaffe, totaling more than 150 yards and three touchdowns, in a 22-12 D-G-F win over the Wave Friday night at Senior High Field.

“The fumble right out at halftime really hurt," said EGF coach Ryan Kasowski. "You could see the wind come out of the sail, which was tough. Then, we just weren’t able to sustain any drives and our defense was just on the field too long.

After an interception from Ryan Taylor on DGF’s opening drive, the Green Wave went right down the field with nine rushing attempts for 28 yards, which ended with a one-yard quarterback sneak by Drew Carpenter for the first touchdown of the game.

There were just three total drives in the first quarter, a testament to the commitment to the run.


On the first full offensive drive for the Rebels, star running back Jordan Summers would rack up 53 yards on 12 attempts and a spotlight on the final two plays. He would follow up his two-yard touchdown rush with a successful two-point conversion, making it 8-6 DGF.

“It’s tough because as the game goes on, it seemed like he would get stronger. That’s just what they like to do. As the game goes on, that endurance kicks in for him. He was just too much to bring down in that second half,” said Kasowski.

The Rebels looked to add on to their lead with 1:48 left in the half and continued to feed the ball to Summers. This time, the Green Wave were able to make a stop and force DGF quarterback Owen Leach to push the ball downfield.

Scrambling, Leach was brought down in the backfield by Caleb Zejdlik and gave EGF a chance to score before the end of the half. Leach, again aiding them, kicked his punt short to his own 48-yard line.

Even with the short yardage available using the triple option, the clock was running thin and the Green Wave needed a quick strike. Streaking down the sideline was Caleb Schmiedeberg who hauled in a 47-yard touchdown strike from Carpenter. The Green Wave had the lead, 12-8, and would be coming out of the locker room receiving the ball.

“It was a heck of a ball by Drew. He put air under it and Caleb was able to run underneath it. It was just a shot we took and luckily our guys made the play on it,” said Kasowski.

Momentum built up in the blink of an eye for EGF, and it was taken away just the same. The first snap coming out of the break was never handled properly and a fumble would give the Rebels the ball at the Green Wave 39-yard line.

But in a credit to the EGF defense, its 3-4 defense was able to not only hold Summers out of the end zone but kept any points from getting on the board by getting a turnover on downs at their 10-yard line.


The offense answered with a three-and-out which would force the defense to try to contain Summers once again. A very good punt by Carpenter would help, as it pinned the Rebels to the 20-yard line.

An 80-yard touchdown drive featured 10 rushes and a reception from Summers that totaled 63 yards and a one-yard scoring rush from the goal line. Again, however, he was stopped on a two-point conversion attempt.

Summers, who came into the game as the Section 3-A leading rusher, has amassed over 700 yards this season in just those first three games.

“I just go out there and play, really. I have heart and want to get those extra yards. The boys up front have really done their job. It’s easy when you have dogs up there,” Summers said after his 169 yards on 37 carries.

Another three-and-out by East Grand Forks was worsened by a 42-yard punt return to the Green Wave 23, with four more Summers rushes leading to another touchdown and this time a successful two-point conversion. A two-possession lead at 22-12 would put up a very steep barrier to climb.

“When that fumble happened it was almost like our whole mindset changed. We were pushing too hard instead of just doing our jobs and playing the way we know we can play. That’s just something we have to continue to work on,” Kasowski said.

The Rebels were quickly able to get the ball back and run the rest of the clock out, continuing their unbeaten streak to start their year as they move to a 4-0 record. The Green Wave fell to 1-3.

DGF 0 8 0 14 22


EGF 6 6 0 0 12

EGF: Drew Carpenter 2-5, 57 yds, 1 TD; Clyde Anderson 10 att, 33 yds; Carpenter 6 att, 13 yards, 1 TD; Caleb Schmiedeberg 1 rec, 47, 1 TD; Austin Rusling 1 rec, 10 yds

DGF: Owen Leach 3-7, 31 yds, 1 INT; Jordan Summers 37 att, 169 yds, 3 TD; Nicholas Waale 6 att, 40 yds; Summers 1 rec, 19 yds

Digital Content Producer and Sports Reporter at the Grand Forks Herald since December of 2020. Maxwell can be contacted at
What to read next
The Roughriders used 45 points from the 1-2 punch of Reis Rowekamp and Zachary Kraft.
GRAND FORKS – In the expanded gym complex at Grand Forks Central, the 48th Sertoma Wrestling Tournament is underway this weekend. Programs across North Dakota and Minnesota are gathered here in what used to be the Knights of Columbus Tournament. Throughout the years, the tournament has been one of the best wrestling weekends across the North Dakota-Minnesota region.
After scoring one goal last season, the sophomore defender has three already this year.
The Eagles will look to replace two 1,000-point career scorers in Sam Gapp and Kobe Tomkinson.