PREP CLIPBOARD: Girls Tennis, baseball, softball
Hi-Liners sweep Knights Sadie Klingenberg and Heather Knutson each had three hits as Valley City swept Grand Forks Central in a doubleheader Friday. Klingenberg led the Hi-Liners in the first game, going 3-for-3 as Valley City beat the Knights 13-3.
Hi-Liners sweep Knights
Sadie Klingenberg and Heather Knutson each had three hits as Valley City swept Grand Forks Central in a doubleheader Friday.
Klingenberg led the Hi-Liners in the first game, going 3-for-3 as Valley City beat the Knights 13-3. Knutson went 3-for-4 as Valley City finished the sweep with a 15-4 win.
“We swung the bat pretty well, but we gave them a lot of free outs in both games and they capitalized on them,” said Central coach Darin Schumacher. “The girls battled hard; we just need to shore up the defense.”
Stephanie McWilliams led Central, going 3-for-4 with a home run in the second game.
The Knights dropped to 2-9. They will host Fargo North on Monday.
Grafton capitalized on eight East Grand Forks Senior High errors to take a 10-9 win in the opening game of a doubleheader Friday at Stauss Park.
Senior High came back to win the nightcap 6-4.
Senior High is now 7-3 on the season.
Hunter Baldwin and Zak Hernandez each had three hits for Grafton in the opener.
Senior High received two hits each from Cooper Jerome and Donnie Musgrove in its win.
“It was a tough day out in the field for us,” said Senior High coach Garret Hjelle said. “You score nine runs you expect to win a game.”
Senior High will host Perham in a doubleheader on Tuesday.
GF Red River 9,
Fargo South 0
Grand Forks Red River blanked Fargo South on Friday in its last regular-season outing.
“It went pretty well,” said Red River coach Greg LaDouceur. “Now it’s time to get geared up for EDC next Thursday. We’re going to enjoy a couple of days off before we get back to practice on Monday.”
The Roughriders, who improved to 8-0, received singles wins from Mimi Yunker, Cindy Lim, Maddie Anderson, Alexis Caoili, Michaela Meland and Casey DeBeltz.
- Girls golf: Kelsey Schlenk led the East Grand Forks Senior High with an 87 on Friday at the Roseau Invitational. She placed third individually. Senior High finished with a 404 and placed fourth.
- Girls tennis: Valley City won every match except No. 2 singles to defeat Grand Forks Central 8-1 on Friday in Valley City. Katie Sween, a senior, defeated Sam Coit 6-4, 6-1 for the Knights’ only win. Central, 0-8, will play at Wahpeton in an East Region play-in game at a date to be determined next week.
- Girls soccer: Fargo Davies downed Grand Forks Central 5-0 on Friday. Karleigh Gause had nine saves for the Knights.
- Girls track: Grand Forks Red River’s Ashley Rone won the 100, 200, 400 and ran a leg on the winning 4x400 relay team to lead Grand Forks Red River to a third-place finish at the Fargo Classic on Friday. West Fargo won the meet with 161 points, followed by Fargo Davies at 148 and Red River at 108.
- Boys track: East Grand Forks Senior High won the West Marshall Lions Invitational in Warren on Friday. The Green Wave finished with 158.5 points. Individually, Zach Tingelstad won the 200 and 400 for Senior High, while Brock Scheving took the shot put and discus. Grant Frydenlund won the triple jump.
- Girls track: Roseau won Friday’s West Marshall Lions Invitational with 177 points. East Grand Forks Senior High was second with 108. Individually, Senior High’s Haylie Carlstrom (400) and Karly Nelson (shot put) took wins for the Wave.