OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Banquets, Hunting film festivals and family events among outdoor activities on tap
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• March 16: Outdoor Adventure Foundation annual fundraising dinner banquet, Hilton Garden Inn, 4351 17th Ave. S., Fargo. Tickets will be available in February. More info: www.ndoaf.org.
• March 30: North Red River Chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association "Bucks and Bologna Night," Karlstad Eagles Club, 406 N. Main St., Karlstad, Minn. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with supper to follow at 7:30 p.m. Smoked sausage competition; shed antlers, antlers on boards, skulls and trophy mounts on display; trail cam and deer camp photos contest; and games and raffles throughout the night. Info: Kelly Turgeon, (218) 988-2567 or email@example.com.
• March 30: Mahnomen County DU Banquet, Shooting Star Casino, Mahnomen, Minn. Info: Rachel McArthur, (218) 204-0332 or Doug McArthur, (218) 204-1007.
• April 5: Roseau DU Banquet, 5 to 9:30 p.m., Gene's Bar and Grill, Roseau, Minn. Info: Dave Dirks, (218) 689-0675.
• April 6: Forks Friends of NRA banquet, 5:30 p.m ., Ramada Inn, 1205 N. 43rd St., Grand Forks. For tickets online go to www.friendsofnra.org or contact Gordy Linnell at (218) 779-1784.
• April 20: East Grand Forks Ducks Unlimited Annual Banquet, Eagles Club, 227 10th St. NW, East Grand Forks. Social hour 5 p.m., with dinner at 6:30 p.m.; 40-gun event with more than $30,000 in prizes. Ticket info: (701) 215-2373.
• April 27: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever banquet. Info: Brian Nelson, (218) 230-4364.
Park vehicle passes are required for all events at North Dakota and Minnesota state parks. Vehicle passes are $7 daily and $35 annually in both states.
• March 10: Family Fun Day, noon to 3 p.m., Larimore Dam Recreation Area, Larimore, N.D. Games and activities on tap include ice fishing for kids 15 and younger, shot on goal competition and more. There also will be 50/50 drawing, and chili, hot dogs, hot chocolate and water will be available for a free-will donation. In case of inclement weather, event will be held at the Larimore American Legion. Sponsored by Larimore North Star Lodge and Kem Shrine Roughriders. Info: Dave, (701) 741-8315; John, (218) 791-9564; or Landon, (406) 549-0024.
• March 16: Third annual film festival, premiering new films from "The Story—Written by Nature ... Told By Sportsmen," Win-E-Mac School Arts and Events Center, 23130 345th St. SE, Erskine, Minn. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., show starts at 6:30 p.m. Admission $10, adults; free for age 15 and younger. Door prizes from Martin Archery, Drury Outdoors, X-Stand Treestands, The Story and more. Info: Shane Fuglseth, (218) 200-9509 or www.facebook.com/thestorytv.
• April 6: Minnesota Sharp-tailed Grouse Society Spring Fling, Visitor Center, Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Registration begins at 9 a.m., with events scheduled throughout the day and wrapping up with a fundraiser raffle drawing at 3:30 p.m. Optional field trip scheduled for 6:30 a.m., and participants should meet at the Eagles parking lot, 406 N. Main St., in Karlstad, Minn. Info: https://sharptails.org.
• May 29: Informational meeting, registration and orientation for 2019 Ladies Sporting Clays program, 6:30 p.m., Dakota Hunting Club and Kennel, 1854 11th Ave. NE, Grand Forks. First week of shooting and instruction begins at 6:30 p.m. June 5, with subsequent sessions set for 6:30 p.m. June 12, June 19, June 26, July 3, July 10 and July 17. Fee: $50 for the season, includes instruction from certified instructors of the Coordinated Shooting Method and National Sporting Clays Association. Info: Greg LaHaise, (218) 791-3622 or Mike Elgin, (701) 772-8789 (leave message).
Permit to Carry
• March 30: North Dakota Class I and II Permit to Carry training, 8 a.m., Holiday Inn Express, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; www.permittocarry.org.
• March 30: Minnesota, Florida and Arizona Permit to Carry training, 11 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela's. Info: Tom Ramirez, (218) 252-3326; www.permittocarry.org.