OUTDOORS CALENDAR: A listing of Christmas Bird Counts, state park events and other outdoors happenings
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
Park vehicle passes are required for all events at North Dakota and Minnesota state parks. Vehicle passes are $7 daily and $35 annually in both states.
• Dec. 18: Fourtown Grygla Sportsmans Club December meeting, 7 p.m., American Legion, 324 Brooks Ave., Thief River Falls.
• Jan. 1: First Day Hike, 1 to 3 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Meet at the Visitor Center. Info: (218) 308-2328 or email@example.com.
• Jan. 1: First Day Hike: A Backcountry Exploration, 1 to 3 p.m., Itasca State Park, Minn. A limited number of snowshoes will be available at the Jacob V. Brower Visitor, and the hike will follow the Dr. Roberts Trail. Info: (218) 699-7251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Jan. 12: Sullys Hill Shutterbugs camera club meeting, 2 p.m., Visitor Center, Sullys Hill Nature Preserve south of Devils Lake. Rick Craig will discuss "Photography Basics—The Art of Photography." Info: email@example.com.
• Jan. 12: Lantern Lit Snowshoe and Ski Event, 5 to 7:30 p.m., Itasca State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 699-7251 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Jan. 12: Candlelight Ski and Snowshoe, 5:30 to 9 p.m., Hayes Lake State Park south of Roseau, Minn. Info: (218) 425-7504 or email@example.com.
• Jan. 19: Lake Region Sportsmen's Club Rifle Raffle and Fox/Coyote Hunt. Registration from 6 to 8 a.m. at Devils Lake Cenex Travel Plaza. Tickets are $10, and raffle prizes include DPMS AR-15 .223 rifle for first, $150 Goldade's Meats certificate for second and electric smoker for third. Check in for hunters is 6:30 p.m., and raffle prize drawings will follow. For more info, call Larry at (701) 351-4090.
• Jan. 19: Candlelight Ski and Snowshoe, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Info: (218) 754-2200.
• Jan. 26: Candlelight Snowshoe, 6 to 9 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Event starts and ends at the Visitor Center, where refreshments will be available. Info: Larissa Harris, (218) 308-2328 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Jan. 26: Whitetails Unlimited Red River Valley Deer Camp banquet, Eagles Club, 227 10th St. NW, East Grand Forks. Games, raffles and social hour 5 p.m., with roast beef dinner at 6 p.m. Tickets: $30 per person; www.whittetailsunlimited.com.
• Jan. 26-28: Red River Valley Boat & Marine Product Show, Fargodome. Show hours noon to 9 p.m. Jan. 26, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 27 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 28. Admission is $10 for adults, $2.50 for ages 6 to 12 and free for ages 5 and younger; www.fargoboatshow.com.
Christmas Bird Counts
• Dec. 16: Grand Forks. Meet at 7 a.m. at Northside Cafe on Gateway Drive. Reports from feeder watchers are welcome. For more information, call or text (701) 330-1474.
• Dec. 17: Itasca State Park, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Meet at the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center lobby between 7:30 and 8 a.m., and dress warmly for outdoor winter conditions. Info: (218) 699-7251.
• Dec. 19: Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge. Info: Lynda Knutsen, email@example.com.
• Dec. 20: Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minn. Meet at 8 a.m. at the Refuge Visitor Center. There will be a noon potluck at the Visitor Center. Info: (218) 687-2229 ext. 16.
• Dec. 29: Roseau, Minn. Meet at 7 a.m. at the Roseau Diner. Info: Beth Siverhus, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dec. 30: Beltrami Island State Forest. Info: Martin Kehoe, email@example.com.
• Dec. 31: Baudette, Minn. Info: Martin Kehoe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permit to Carry
• Dec. 16: North Dakota Class I & II Permit to Carry training, 8 a.m., Hampton Inn, Grand Forks. Info: Bill Collison, (701) 740-8674; www.permittocarry.org.
• Dec. 16: 2 for 1 Minnesota Permit to Carry training, 11 a.m., East Grand Forks Cabela's. Info: Laura Ramirez, (218) 252-1631; www.permittocarry.org.