To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• Oct. 28: North Red River Chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association banquet, City Hall, Hallock, Minn. Social hour 5 p.m., with supper at 7; games and prizes throughout the evening. Register before Oct. 20 for an opportunity to purchase raffle tickets at reduced pricing. Ticket $70, which includes MDHA membership. Info: Kelly Turgeon, chapter president, (218) 988-2567 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Oct. 28-29: Mentored Youth Deer Hunt, Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minn. Minn. Refuge will be closed to the general public during the hunt. Info: (218) 687-2229 ext. 16.
• Oct. 29: Informational meeting for winter youth shooting programs, 4 p.m., Forks Rifle Club, 2051 12th Ave. NE, Emerado, N.D. Info: Steve Martin, (218) 779-7497 or by email at email@example.com.
• Oct. 22: Finley Wildlife Club Youth Pheasant Hunt, private lands in the Finley, N.D., area. Participants can register and obtain maps of the areas where the Wildlife Club is releasing pheasants beginning at 7 a.m. in the Finley American Legion hall. There's no charge for anyone who brings a young hunter with them in the field. Info: Brian Tuite, (701) 524-2880.
• Oct. 28: Fishing Careers Workshop, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Craguns Resort on Gull Lake near Brainerd, Minn.Cost is $250 per person; refreshments included; lunch can be purchased onsite. Info: (800) 378-5095 or mycampfish.com.
• Nov. 25: The Bog Changes, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Visit the bog in the "offseason" to see how this part of the park changes with the approach of winter. Come prepared for the weather, as the trek could be on foot, skis or snowshoes. Info: (218) 308-2300.
• Dec. 9: Wreath-making 101, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. (two sessions), Lake Bemidji State Park. Learn how to make an evergreen wreath. Balsam, pine and cedar boughs, wreath forms, wire and red ribbon will be supplied. Materials fee is $8.50, and there's a maximum of 20 people per session. A vehicle permit ($7 daily or $35 annual) also is required to enter the park. Register by Nov. 27 by calling (218) 308-2300.
• Dec. 18: 22nd annual Itasca State Park Winter Bird Count, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Itasca State Park. Meet between 7:30 and 8 a.m. in the Jacob V. Brower Visitor Center Lobby for assignment of count areas. Dress for the weather. Info: (218) 699-7251.
• Dec. 30: Candlelight ski/snowshoe hike, 5 to 8 p.m., Zippel Bay State Park on Lake of the Woods north of Williams, Minn. No cost, but a Minnesota State Parks vehicle permit ($7 daily, $35 annually) is required to enter the park. Info: (218) 647-8592.