To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 148 or by email at email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• July 26: Red River Valley Catfish League "need not be a member" night, 6 to 9 p.m., LaFave Park boat ramp, East Grand Forks. Registration starts at 5 p.m., and entry fee is $10 per boat. This week only, entrants don't have to be members of the Red River Catfish Club to fish the league night. Info: rrvcatfish.com.
• July 29-30: 30th annual Cats Incredible Catfish Tournament. LaFave Park below Cabela's in East Grand Forks is tournament headquarters. Entry fee $230 per two-person team. Info: catsincredibletournament.com.
• Aug. 19: 12th Annual Thief River Falls Lions Fishing Tournament, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thief and Red Lake rivers. Anglers must attend 8:30 a.m. rules meeting. Entry fee $30 adults, $10 age 12 and younger; there's also a $5 fee for anglers fishing by boat. More than $17,000 in raffle and tournament prizes. Info: trflions.org.
• Aug. 19: 26th Annual North American Sturgeon Championship, Rainy River near Birchdale, Minn. Youth tournament from noon to 2 p.m. open to anglers age 17 and under; adult competition follows from 3 to 7 p.m. There's no charge to enter the youth tournament; entry fee for the adult tournament is $20 adults and $10 for contestants age 17 and younger. Longest measured fish will receive trophy and 50 percent payback. Nelson Park off state Highway 11 in Birchdale is tournament headquarters. Info: Soren Oleson, (218) 634-2800.
• Aug. 6: "Learning at the Lakes: Fish," 2 p.m. Rydell National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minn. Hosted by the Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuges Association.
• Aug. 11-13: Minnesota Becoming an Outdoors Woman guided sturgeon fishing trip on the Rainy River. DNR staff will discuss sturgeon biology on Friday evening, Aug. 11, and Saturday, Aug. 12 and Sunday, Aug. 13 through noon will be spent fishing with mentors on the Rainy River. Fishing license required. Entry fee $205, and there's a limit of 12 participants; preference given to women new to sturgeon fishing or for women bringing new women to the program. Info: mndnr.gov/education/bow/index.html.
• Aug. 13: "Learning at the Lakes" program on homesteaders, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Rydell National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minn. Learn about the homesteaders who once lived on the refuge lands and visit the Strom log building. Hosted by the Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuges Association.