Get outdoors with these events
To get an event in the calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148; (800) 477-6572, ext. 1148; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays.
• Saturday: Candlelight ski and snowshoe, 5 to 8 p.m., Zippel State Park, Minn.; meet at the residence just behind the park office. Info: (218) 783-6252.
• Saturday: Candlelight ski and snowshoe, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Lake Bronson State Park, Minn.; meet at the Visitor Center. Info: (218) 754-2200.
• Feb. 17-19: National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic, Minneapolis Convention Center. Early bird registration package costs $195 and includes three-day admission, Friday night banquet, Saturday luncheon, Saturday banquet and access to all featured seminars. Info: pheasantsforever.org.
• Feb. 25: Candlelight ski, 6 to 9 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Info: John Fylpaa, (218) 308-2300 or email@example.com.
• March 4-5: Snowshoe Lacing Workshop, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 4 and 8 a.m. to noon March 5, Rydell National Wildlife Refuge near Erskine, Minn. Registration is $75, and pre-registration is required. Class size will be limited to 15 participants. Registration fee includes snowshoe kit and materials. Snacks and lunch on the Saturday will be provided courtesy of the Friends of Rydell and Glacial Refuges Association. For more information, contact Lynda Knutsen at (218) 689-2430.
• March 25: The Red River Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation will be hosting the 27th Annual Big Game Banquet in the Alerus Center Ballroom, Grand Forks. Doors open at 5 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m. Info: Paul Eslinger, (701) 202-0196.
• Tuesday: Introduction to Catfishing, 7 to 9 p.m., Community Alternative High School, 500 Stanford Road, Grand Forks. Grand Forks catfish guide Brad Durick will teach the course. For more information, call Durick at (701) 739-5808 or check out the Grand Forks Schools website at GF schools.org.
• Saturday: 14th annual Ice Buster Daze Fishing Derby and Radar Run, Crookston. Eagles breakfast from 8 to 10 a.m. (freewill offering), ice fishing from 1 to 4 p.m. on the Red Lake River at Central Park ($20 per hole, includes pork chop dinner); radar run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Red Lake River ($20 for two runs, includes pork chop dinner); both fees offer chance at raffle prizes (need not be present to win). Info: Brian, (218) 281-7762; Ceason Bait and Tackle, (218) 281-6665; or Bobby, (218) 281-3132.
• Feb. 12: Lake Bronson Lions Club Ice Fishing Derby, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Bronson at Lake Bronson State Park, Minn. Register at the park's visitor center. Info: (218) 754-4911.
• Feb. 12: 60th annual Knights of Columbus Fishing Derby, 1 to 3 p.m., Eighth Street boat landing, Thief River Falls. Concession stand will be open, and raffle tickets are being sold by Knights of Columbus members. Cash drawings will be at 3 p.m. on the ice. Raffle participants do not need to be present to win. Prizes for first fish, largest northern and largest walleye. Open to all ages. Info: Robert Buresh, (218) 681-7204 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Feb. 18: Second annual Cabela's On Ice Youth Fishing event, 1 to 3 p.m., Ryan Pond south of South Middle School, Grand Forks. Limited to first 30 kids. Info: Brad Olson, (218) 773-0282, ext. 8024.
• Feb. 18: Fishing derby, noon to 3 p.m., Springsteel Resort on Lake of the Woods near Warroad, Minn.. Prizes for top four walleyes, northern pike and perch and $200 prize for largest burbot. Tickets $20. Info: visitwarroad.com.
• Feb. 23-26: 38th annual International Eelpout Festival, Leech Lake, Walker, Minn. Events on tap include eelpout fishing derby, live music, eelpout fish fries, eelpout rugby, Polar Pout Plunge and more. Info/schedule: eelpoutfestival.com.