DU banquets, Finley Wildlife Club pheasant hunt coming up on outdoors calendar
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at email@example.com . Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
- Oct. 8: Buckthorn removal demonstration project, 1 to 6 p.m., Agassiz Environmental Learning Center, Fertile, Minn. The University of Minnesota-Crookston Natural Resources Club will lead the project, and the public is welcome to attend. Laura Bell, UMC Natural Resources Department lab manager and Natural Resources Club adviser, will provide information about invasive buckthorn’s life cycle including the viability of seeds that need to be controlled for several years. Info: Wayne Goeken, (218) 280-0516.
- Oct. 16: Fall Luminary Walk, Turtle River State Park, 3084 Park Ave. NE, Arvilla, ND. Info: www.parkrec.nd.gov , firstname.lastname@example.org or (701) 795-3180.
- Oct. 24: Finley Wildlife Club’s annual Youth Pheasant Hunt, private lands surrounding Finley, N.D. Club will release some 400 pheasants, and the hunt is open at no charge to hunters 18 and younger and adults who bring a youth hunter afield with them. Registration begins at 6 a.m. at the Finley American Legion, 600 Lincoln Ave. S. Participants will receive a township map showing where pheasants were released, and a creamed pheasant lunch will be served at noon in the Legion. Hunters must follow all North Dakota hunting regulations. Maps and additional information will be available at registration.
- Oct. 29-30: 42nd Annual Snowmobile North Dakota State Convention, Quality Inn and Suites, 507 25th St. SW, Jamestown, N.D. Hosted by the Jim River Drift Skippers snowmobile club. Info: Glenn, (701) 320-0255.
Oct. 15: Devils Lake Ducks Unlimited dinner, 6 p.m., Knights of Columbus, 522 Fourth St. NE, Devils Lake. Tickets/info: ducks.org and click “Find Event” link.
Oct. 23: Agassiz Ducks Unlimited 10th Anniversary banquet, 5:30 p.m., Middle River Legacy Center, 335 Fourth St. N., Middle River, Minn. More than $25,000 in total prizes. Tickets/info: Josh Veselka, (218) 686-4265; Shawn Larson, (218) 230-5074; or Aaron Munter, (218) 689-2113.
Oct. 27: Finley Fire & Ice Raffle Night, 6 p.m., Rumors Tavern, 213 Fourth St. W. Finley, N.D. Tickets: $10 single, $25 includes DU membership. Tickets/info: Terry, (701) 890-5770.
Nov. 13: Ducks Unlimited and Pekin Rod & Gun Club fundraiser, 6 p.m., Pekin Community Center, 200 Main St., Pekin, N.D. Donation and membership $25. Tickets/info: Terry, (701) 890-5770.
- Jan. 1: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever 15-gun raffle, 5 to 8 p.m., Charlie Browns, 414 Gateway Drive, Grand Forks. Tickets $50; need not be present to win. Info: Chapter Facebook page, (218) 230-4364 or email@example.com.
- Jan. 1: Red River Valley Chapter of Pheasants Forever Browning 13-gun raffle, 5 to 8 p.m., Charlie Browns, 414 Gateway Drive, Grand Forks. Tickets $50; need not be present to win. Info: Chapter Facebook page, (218) 230-4364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars in September and continuing through late November. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at mndnr.gov. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
Oct. 6: Bird hunting with a pointing dog, and the training required for both the owner and dog to become a team in the field.
Oct. 13: Pheasant hunting strategies, techniques and how to get started chasing longtails.
Oct. 20: Bats of Minnesota and why many consider them a great backyard visitor.
Oct. 27: The latest on chronic wasting disease (CWD) in Minnesota and what hunters need to know about this disease and what the DNR is doing to manage it.
Nov. 3: Preparing for the firearms deer season, including last-minute tips, reminders, strategies to be successful this deer season.
Nov. 10: Muzzleloader hunting tips and techniques.
Nov. 17: Creating habitat in your woods to attract more wildlife.
Nov. 24: Nature Rx, ahead of Free Park Friday at all 75 Minnesota state parks, about the health benefits of getting outdoors in parks, forests and other natural settings.
Oct. 5: Virtual fishing seminar with Devils Lake fishing guide and tournament walleye pro Johnnie Candle, 7 p.m. Event will focus on walleyes, northern pike and white bass, beginning with a 15- to 20-minute seminar, followed by a question-and-answer session, and will stream at facebook.com/devilslake .
- Oct. 16: 11th annual Chili Bowl Walleye Tournament, Border View Lodge on the Rainy River near Baudette, Minn. Entry fee $125 per two-person team, with a maximum of 75 teams. Info/registration: borderviewlodge.com or (800) 776-3474.