Game and Fish Advisory Board meetings, UND Paur Lecture coming up on Outdoors Calendar
To get an event in the Outdoors Calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
N.D. Game and Fish Advisory Board
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department Advisory Board has announced its spring slate of public meetings at seven locations across the state. Districts 3 and 4 in easern North Dakota will have a shared meeting. In addition, the District 7 meeting in Bismarck will be streamed live on the Game and Fish website, gf.nd.gov. Meetings begin at 7 p.m. local time as follows:
- April 17: District 2 (Bottineau, Burke, McHenry, Mountrail, Pierce, Renville and Ward counties), 7 p.m., Velva Wildlife Club, 1901 U.S. Highway 52, Velva, N.D. Velva Wildlife Club is host. Contact and advisory board member: Travis Leier, Velva, (701) 240-3690.
- April 17: District 3 and 4 (Benson, Cavalier, Eddy, Ramsey, Rolette, Towner, Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina and Walsh counties), 7 p.m., Lake Region State College, Heritage Hall, 1801 College Drive N., Devils Lake. Lake Region Sportsman Club is host. Contact and advisory board member: Edward Dosch, Devils Lake, (701) 351-4202; Bruce Ellertson, Lakota, contact info not included.
- April 18: District 8 (Adams, Billings, Bowman, Dunn, Golden Valley, Hettinger, Slope and Stark counties), 7 p.m., Beach, N.D. Additional info TBA. Advisory board member: Rob Brooks, Rhame, N.D.
- April 24: District 6 (Barnes, Dickey, Foster, Griggs, Logan, LaMoure, McIntosh, Stutsman and Wells counties), 7 p.m., City Hall, 120 Eighth St. E., Harvey, N.D. Harvey Wildlife Club is host. Contact and advisory board member: Cody Sand, Ashley, N.D., (701) 535-1071.
- April 24: District 5 (Cass, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Steele and Traill counties), 7 p.m., City Hall, 31 Fifth Ave. N., Kindred, N.D. Kindred Wildlife Club is host. Contact: Darrell Kersting, (701) 373-1483; Advisory board member is Doug Madsen, Harwood, N.D.
- April 25: District 1 (Divide, McKenzie and Williams counties), 7 p.m., Keene, N.D. Additional details/info TBA. Advisory board member: Beau Wisness, Keene.
- April 25: District 7 (Burleigh, Emmons, Grant, Kidder, McLean, Mercer, Morton, Oliver, Sheridan and Sioux counties), 7 p.m., Game and Fish Main Office, 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck. Host and contact TBA. Advisory board member: Jody Sommer, Mandan.
- April 22: Minnesota Prairie Chicken Society 50th annual meeting, Rothsay Community Center, 124 First St. NW, Rothsay, Minn. Habitat field trip at 6 a.m. (mmet at Rothsay Truck Stop), followed by meeting at 9 a.m. Deadline for $35 Early Bird registration is April 8; registration $40 after April 8, either online, by mail or at the door. More info: www.prairiechickens.org.
- April 28: Glenn Allen Paur Lecture featuring David Bjerklie, UND alum and science communicator, who will speak on "13 Ways of Looking at a Turkey: Opportunities and Responsibilities in Science Communication," 12:20 p.m., Chester Fritz Library Room 406. Reception to follow. Info: email@example.com or UND Wildlife Society, involvement.UND.edu/organization/TWS.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars this winter and spring. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at
. Webinars also are recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
- April 12: DNR Trout stream easements and improved angling opportunities. Dusty Hoffman, DNR stream habitat specialist, will discuss the best way to find angling easements and how to properly use easements on some of Minnesota’s best trout streams. Learn about some habitat improvement projects completed on easements and how those projects enhance angling opportunities.
- April 19: The peregrine falcon story. Jackie Fallon, wildlife biologist, master falconer and educator for over 30 years, will discuss what is being done to help the species in Minnesota and what researchers have discovered after 50 years of study. There'll also be an opportunity to see a live falcon up close.
- April 26: Meredith Warmuth, DNR fish hatchery specialist, will share information about Minnesota's coldwater hatchery system, how it benefits trout fishing in Minnesota (and where to find them) and how people can tour the facilities.
- May 3: Fishing for freshwater drum (aka sheepshead). DNR Ortonville area fisheries supervisor, Chris Domeier, will share information on when, where and how to fish for freshwater drum in Minnesota. He'll also cover their life history and how to clean and cook this often overlooked, native and surprisingly tasty species.
- May 10: Catching walleyes on opening weekend. DNR Fisheries staff and walleye fishing experts discuss what to expect for the upcoming fishing opener and provide some tips on how to catch early season walleyes. Session will especially focus on southern Minnesota, the location of the 2023 Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener, which is in Mankato this year.
- May 17: Heidi Cyr, nongame wildlife permit coordinator for wildlife rehabilitators, will talk about “orphaned” wildlife, signs an animal needs help and the best ways to keep wildlife wild.
- May 24: Monarch butterfly conservation. Experts from the Monarch Joint Venture will discuss what is being done for monarchs in North America and how to take part in Minnesota (or wherever you are).
- May 31: Muskie diet secrets revealed. DNR fisheries experts Brian Herwig, Jim Wolters and Kamden Glade will share the results of their recent research projects providing new insights on the diets and ecology of Minnesota muskellunge and related fishing tips to help anglers hook Minnesota’s top predator this year.
For more information on any of the black powder shooting events below, check out the
Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloader Club's Facebook page
or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 9-11: Hangfires 47th Annual Rendezvous, Bemidji.
- June 18-24: High Plains Regional Rendezvous, Hughes Draw, Black Hills, S.D.
- July 15-16: Bearclaw Muzzleloaders Annual Rendezvous, Height of Land, Minn.
- Aug. 5-6: Coon ‘n Crockett Muzzleloaders Shoot, East Grand Forks.
- Aug. 18-20: Lake Country Mountaineers Black Powder 43rd Annual Rendezvous, Perham, Minn.
- Sept 22-24: Plainsmen 50th Anniversary Shoot & Rendezvous, Georgetown, Minn.