Northwest Angle Buoy Bash, state park events, coming up on Outdoors Calendar
To get an event in the Outdoors Calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
- Aug. 25: Grand Forks Chapter of Ducks Unlimited banquet, 5:30 p.m., Alerus Center, 1200 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks. Tickets: ducksunlimited.myeventscenter.com/event/Grand-Forks-Dinner-61812.
- Aug. 27: Cast Iron Cook-off, 2 to 3 p.m., Lake Bemidji State Park. Learn to cook over an open fire with a Dutch oven. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at email@example.com.
- Sept. 3: Medicine from the Earth, 1 to 3 p.m., Big Bog State Recreation Area. Learn about the many medicinal plants that grow in the bog. Info: Christa Drake, (218) 308-2300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept. 14-16: Northwest Angle Buoy Bash, Jerry's Bar and Restaurant, Youngs Bay on Lake of the Woods' Northwest Angle. Paul Menta and his wife, Crystal, of Key West, Florida, are scheduled to be on hand to culminate a fundraising effort for local schools in the northernmost and southernmost communities in the contiguous U.S. united by their buoys.
- Sept. 16-18: Wild Outdoor Women weekend outdoor learning event, Lake Metigoshe State Park, N.D. Primarily for women age 16 and over, WOW offers the opportunity to learn and improve upon numerous outdoor recreational skills, including canoeing, kayaking, archery, Dutch oven cooking, yoga, guided mountain biking, fly-fishing and more.
Registration opened Aug. 3 and continues through Aug. 24 or until sessions are full. More info on sessions and rates is available at parkrec.nd.gov.
- Oct. 15: 12th annual Chili Bowl Walleye Tournament, Border View Lodge near Baudette, Minn. Entry fee $75 per two-person team; maximum 75 teams. Info: borderviewlodge.com.
- Sept. 23-25: 49th annual Plainsmen Black Powder club shoot and rendezvous, original Hudson Bay Trading Post site near Georgetown, Minnesota. Directions/info: Mark Roster, president, (701) 799-0980; Dave Zaeski, vice president, (701) 367-6811; or email@example.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars this summer. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at
. Webinars also are recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
- Aug. 24: Early goose season. Dave Trauba, DNR wildlife manager, will discuss early season hunting opportunities for geese and provide tips on how and where to bag the birds.
- Aug. 31: Hunting ammunition options and tips. Kraig Kiger, DNR shooting sports coordinator, will talk about hunting ammo and options for different game, lead alternatives and other tips to consider when buying ammunition.