ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

NDGF offers boat dock for boat ramp in Lincoln Park

It's not official yet, but boating access on the Red River in Grand Forks looks to be getting even better next summer with the addition of a courtesy dock at the Lincoln Park boat ramp. A similar dock could be in the works at the Whopper John Lit...

It's not official yet, but boating access on the Red River in Grand Forks looks to be getting even better next summer with the addition of a courtesy dock at the Lincoln Park boat ramp. A similar dock could be in the works at the Whopper John Little boat landing north of Riverside Dam.

The Grand Forks boat ramps opened in 2005.

According to Melanie Parvey, environmental compliance manager for the Grand Forks Greenway, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department has offered to give the city a floating dock that is used but in very good condition for the Lincoln Park ramp. Game and Fish purchased the dock from a condo association in Bismarck that had installed the unit on the Missouri River but decided they no longer needed it.

Parvey presented the Game and Fish Department's offer to the Grand Forks City Council Committee of the Whole last Monday night and said she received a positive response to the idea. The full Council will take action on the proposal Tuesday night, she said.

Parvey said Game and Fish offered to donate the dock when she approached them earlier this month about applying for funding through the department's fisheries development program. Game and Fish funds boating access improvements across the state through the program, paying 75 percent of a project's cost, with local sponsors kicking in the remaining 25 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Built by Zachmeier Manufacturing of Mandan, N.D., the T-shaped dock Game and Fish is offering features a walkway that's 40 feet long and 4 feet wide. The T that extends from each side of the walkway measures 32 feet by 6 feet and has two attached benches. A handrail extends around the perimeter everywhere but the outer end of the T portion where boats would pull up to the dock.

A similar dock new, Parvey said, retails for $9,600.

Besides showing support for the Lincoln Park dock, Parvey said the Committee of the Whole also encouraged her to apply for Game and Fish funding to install a dock at the Whopper John landing.

"Everyone was thinking it would be a great amenity, which we've heard from all the river users," she said.

The deadline for submitting requests to Game and Fish is Feb. 1, and the department will decide which projects to fund a short time later.

Parvey said funding for the city's 25 percent share of a north ramp dock would come from the Greenway's operations and maintenance budget for small capital projects.

Dokken reports on outdoors. Reach him at (701) 780-1148; (800) 477-6572, ext. 148; or send e-mail to bdokken@gfherald.com .

Related Topics: BOATINGHUNTINGRED RIVER
Brad Dokken joined the Herald company in November 1985 as a copy editor for Agweek magazine and has been the Grand Forks Herald's outdoors editor since 1998.

Besides his role as an outdoors writer, Dokken has an extensive background in northwest Minnesota and Canadian border issues and provides occasional coverage on those topics.

Reach him at bdokken@gfherald.com, by phone at (701) 780-1148 or on Twitter at @gfhoutdoor.
What To Read Next
Girls basketball
Thompson is now 16-1, while Rugby falls to 15-2.
Featuring prep basketball results from throughout the region, area college basketball scores, boys and girls hockey results, and much more!
The league would launch in summer 2024 and is polling interest in possible host cities.