UND sophomore defenseman Jacob Bernard-Docker finished Saturday's 8-1 win over Canisius College with four assists.
That is especially notable, because it has been three seasons since a UND player has tallied a four-point game.
The last time it happened was March 4, 2017, when current Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tucker Poolman had two goals and two assists in a game at Miami.
It's also notable because in the eight seasons that College Hockey Inc., has compiled in-depth, sortable statistics on its website, only three UND defensemen have tallied four-point nights: Bernard-Docker, Poolman and Paul LaDue, who had two goals and two assists in a game at Colorado College in October 2014.
You have to go back even further to find the last time any UND player -- forward or defense -- has compiled a four-assist game.
The last time it happened was March 11, 2011, when Chay Genoway had four assists in an 8-0 Friday night playoff victory over Michigan Tech in Ralph Engelstad Arena (that one came during a bad blizzard, too).
Interestingly enough, Genoway's four-assist game was actually the second game in a row that a UND player did it. The prior game, six days earlier, Mario Lamoureux had four assists in an 11-2 win at Michigan Tech.
See the chart at the bottom of the page to check out UND's most recent four-point games.
- Game story: UND completes payback weekend with 8-1 thrashing of Canisius
- Video: Canisius coach says UND is 'in your face all the time'
The fact that UND had three players tally three-point nights -- Bernard-Docker, Mark Senden and Jordan Kawaguchi -- also was notable.
The Fighting Hawks had five three-point games all of last year (Jackson Keane, Collin Adams, Cole Smith, Hayden Shaw and Rhett Gardner each did it once) and only four three-point games in all of 2017-18 (Gardner, Nick Jones, Austin Poganski and Christian Wolanin each did it once).
UND has almost matched those totals two games in.
Other notes, stats and comments:
- Nineteen players already have points for UND. Last season, UND's 19th player registered a point in Game 12 on Nov. 23. See a full chart at the bottom of this page.
- UND allowed just 23 shots on goal for the entire weekend. Someone asked me when's the last time UND allowed so few shots against in a weekend series. That one is going to take some time in the research room for UND's sports info department. Off the top of my head, I checked the Yale series in 2002-03 and the Canisius series in 2003-04. Both were 26 shots on goal for the weekend. The 2016-17 series at Miami was 27.
- The last time UND scored 13 goals in a weekend was the regular-season finale for the 2016 title team against Western Michigan. That's also the last time UND has scored eight goals in a home game.
- If you read the game story linked above, you'll see Jordan Kawaguchi talk about UND's potential ability to wear down opponents. That has been reflected in UND's period-by-period numbers through two games. The Fighting Hawks have scored once in the first period, four times in the second and eight times in the third.
- Junior forward Collin Adams is already halfway to his goal total of two from last season. If this summer, fall and first weekend are any indication, he's going to blow that total away this season.
- In a scary play in the final minute of the second period, Kawaguchi's skate inadvertently caught Canisius goalie Jacob Barczewski in the neck and cut it. You rarely see that yet this is the second time in two years it happened with UND and Canisius. Last year, it was Kawaguchi and Matt Stief. Kawaguchi was very solemn in postgame about Barczewski's injury and didn't even realize that Barczewski returned to the game in the third period.
- A staggering 18 of UND's 37 shots on goal came on the power play. That means UND's shooting percentage on the power play was 5.6 percent, and its shooting percentage at even strength was 38.9 percent.
UND's most recent four-point games
March 4, 2017 -- Tucker Poolman (2 goals, 2 assists) at Miami
Oct. 7, 2016 -- Brock Boeser (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Canisius
April 9, 2016 -- Brock Boeser (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Quinnipiac (NCAA title game)
March 4, 2016 -- Brock Boeser (2 goals, 2 assists) vs. Western Michigan
March 4, 2016 -- Nick Schmaltz (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Western Michigan
March 4, 2016 -- Chris Wilkie (2 goals, 2 assists) vs. Western Michigan
Nov. 13, 2015 -- Brock Boeser (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Miami (tic-tac-toe goal game)
Nov. 13, 2015 -- Nick Schmaltz (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Miami (tic-tac-toe goal game)
Oct. 17, 2015 -- Drake Caggiula (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Bemidji State
Oct. 24, 2014 -- Drake Caggiula (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Providence
Oct. 18, 2014 -- Mark MacMillan (3 goals, 2 assists) at Colorado College
Oct. 18, 2014 -- Paul LaDue (2 goals, 2 assists) at Colorado College
Feb. 15, 2014 -- Rocco Grimaldi (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Miami
Oct. 11, 2013 -- Rocco Grimaldi (1 goal, 3 assists) vs. Vermont
When UND's 19th player tallied a point
2019-20 -- Game 2, Oct. 12
2018-19 -- Game 12, Nov. 23
2017-18 -- Game 6, Oct. 21
2016-17 -- Game 16, Dec. 3
2015-16 -- Game 7, Oct. 30
2014-15 -- Game 8, Nov. 7
2013-14 -- Game 10, Nov. 16
2012-13 -- Game 17, Dec. 14