UND held its 15th fall camp practice Monday morning at Memorial Stadium. Here are a few details to know about it:
The scene: The team practiced in full pads. The temperature was 59 degrees and sunny at 8:45 a.m. and 72 when practiced ended about two hours later. Former wide receiver (1987-89) and current hockey trainer Mark Poolman was one of the few to stop by practice.
Participation note: Another good day on the injury front, as head coach Bubba Schweigert said most of the players held out of practice were done so for extreme precaution. Sophomore cornerback Terrell Jennings, who started fall as a backup on the Two Deep, returned as a partial participant after sitting out most of the last couple of weeks. It also appears UND has a third kicker joining camp, presumably Mandan's Evan Arenz.
Play of the day: True freshman quarterback Tommy Schuster hit on a deep ball to sophomore wide receiver/running back Cam McKinney, who toasted a badly mismatched linebacker.
Looking good: Junior tight end Hunter Pinke put together back-to-back impressive plays during team drills. He first went up high to grab a high pass over the middle from quarterback Noah Grover. On the next play, Grover hit wide receiver Garett Maag on a short pass but the play was sprung for a potential big gain thanks to a Pinke seal block.
Next up: The team has Tuesday off before returning for Day 16 on Wednesday at 8:45 a.m. at Memorial Stadium.
Day 15 notes
- Junior running back Dalton Gee, a first-year transfer from Butte College, showcased some of his ability in the team setting. He ripped off a long run, as well as a well-executed screen.
- Offensive coordinator Danny Freund's offense continues to experiment with alignment. Brock Boltmann and Mikey Griebel were noticeably lined up all over the field on Day 15.
- Freund said he will call plays from up in the booth.
- C.J. Siegel and Hayden Blubaugh each made impressive PBUs against taller wide receivers during team drills.
- One of the biggest offensive plays of the day was an Andrew Zimmerman deep ball to Noah Wanzek, who outraced defensive back Jer Dominique to what would have been a touchdown.
UND fall football camp coverage
Day 15 (Aug. 19): UND names captains | Day 15 roundup | Video