UND held its 12th fall camp practice Thursday morning at Memorial Stadium. Here are a few details to know about it:
The scene: The team practiced in full pads as they underwent a scrimmage setup for the first time at camp. Local officials were used during the scrimmage, which lasted from about 8:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. The temperature at the start of practice was 58 degrees with a light rain. At the end of practice, it was 65 degrees. A mix of rain and clouds persisted throughout the scrimmage. A few hardy souls attended the practice, including former UND linebacker Paul German (2008-10).
Participation note: With live hitting for the first time in fall camp, a number of players were held out for precaution. UND appeared to escape the scrimmage without a major injury. Coaches and fans held their breath for a moment, though, when safety Ty Shannon went down midway through the scrimmage and had to be helped off. However, Shannon later returned to the scrimmage.
Play of the day: Sophomore quarterback Noah Grover hit true freshman wide receiver Chrysten Cochran on a slant. Cochran had to rise high to catch the ball in traffic. Meanwhile, safety Derek Murph popped Cochran from behind, jarring his helmet off. Cochran hung on to the pass.
Looking good: Senior defensive end Mason Bennett made a huge hit to stuff a fly sweep to Brock Boltmann in redzone work.
Needs work: UND kickers Brady Leach and Brady Stevens connected on field goals early in practice but missed two late in the scrimmage.
Next up: The team has an off day Friday before returning to practice Saturday morning at 8:45 at Memorial Stadium.
Day 12 notes
- For the second day in a row, redshirt freshman defensive end Ryan Schoenfelder batted down a pass on a rush.
- Senior starting quarterback Nate Ketteringham connected in the back corner of the end zone with true freshman wide receiver Hayden Overby, of Thompson, for a touchdown.
- The team started goal-line work with an Austin Gordon run up the middle in which the senior bulldozed in for the score.
- During redzone work, Grover threw a perfect ball for senior wide receiver Alex Wilde, who rose up over true freshman Sammy Fort to make the catch for a touchdown.
- When UND transitioned from redzone work to full field, two Hawks defenders made standout plays. Safety Tykeise Johnson knifed in to tackle running back Dalton Gee for no gain, then cornerback Jacob Odom batted away an Andrew Zimmerman pass intended for Cochran.
- After those two defensive plays, the offense countered. Gee had a big run up the middle and wide receiver Brock Boltmann picked up about 20 yards after the catch on a quick pass to the perimeter.
- After Gee's big run up the middle, his next carry was stuffed with an impressive tackle by true freshman Josh Navratil, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound Pine Island, Minn., native.
- Murph registered the only interception of the scrimmage, diving to pick off a Zimmerman ball.
- Redshirt freshman linebacker Caden White continued his strong fall by batting down a pass in coverage.
- True freshman quarterback Tommy Schuster connected with Cochran on a pair of balls late in practice.
UND fall football camp coverage
Day 12 (Aug. 15): Depth boosts special teams | Day 12 roundup