UND held its 10th fall camp practice Tuesday morning at the High Performance Center. Here are a few details to know about it:
The scene: One day of steady rain at Memorial Stadium on Monday must have been enough for the UND coaching staff. The team moved indoors as a light drizzle hit in Grand Forks. For the first time at fall camp, practice was moved back from the usual 8:45 a.m. start to a 10:30 a.m. start. The change accommodated a monthly athletic department all-staff meeting in the morning. The team practiced in shoulder pads and shorts.
Participation note: True freshman safety Matt Koshiol and cornerback Evan Holm returned to at least partial practice for the first time in a few days, while quarterback Andrew Zimmerman and wide receiver Garett Maag were sidelined for the first time this fall.
Play of the day: Freshman cornerback Jayson Coley made an impressive pass breakup of a Nate Ketteringham pass intended for true freshman Chrysten Cochran, who had caught a deep pass moments earlier.
Looking good: True freshman quarterback Tommy Schuster and senior wide receiver Travis Toivonen took advantage of a fallen cornerback to hit on a homerun ball late in team drills.
Next up: UND returns to the usual routine Wednesday with a practice at 8:45 a.m. at Memorial Stadium.
Day 10 notes
- UND offensive coordinator Danny Freund is scheduled to become a father for the third time on Tuesday. He was able to make it through practice but carried his phone in his shorts just in case.
- With Zimmerman unable to practice, sophomore quarterback Noah Grover had one of his best practices of the fall with the increased reps. He connected with Alex Cloyd on a slant, a quick-hitter to Cam McKinney short and another down the field to Toivonen.
- The big defensive plays Tuesday featured a "sack" by senior linebacker Andre Steiger and pass breakups by sophomore linebacker Hayden Reynolds and junior defensive back Ty Shannon.
- Midco Sports Network had a team of three at practice Tuesday capturing video and conducting interviews for the group's preseason series.
- Kickers Brady Leach and Brady Stevens each drilled lengthy field goals in special teams work indoors. Brock Boltmann and Mikey Griebel have primarily done the holding on kicks.
UND fall football camp coverage
Day 10 (Aug. 13): Defensive line juggles personnel | Day 10 roundup