UND football fall camp Day 12: Hawks go live for only time in preseason
UND conducted its lone scrimmage of fall camp Tuesday morning outside the Pollard Center, focusing on providing live reps for the youth on the roster.
GRAND FORKS — The lone live scrimmage leading up to the UND football team's 2021 season was marred by a severe injury to running back Creighton Mitchell, a setback that still sidelines the shifty back from Iowa.
So UND was pleased Tuesday to conduct a live scrimmage on the grass outside the Pollard Center without any major injuries.
The Fighting Hawks also focused on providing live reps to many of the team's unproven talent, sitting out a majority of the team's veteran stars.
Day 12 notes
The scene: UND practiced on a cool, cloudy morning on the grass field to the south of the Pollard Center from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., ending with field goals on the turf of Memorial Stadium.
Play of the day: Wide receiver Marcus Preston, a Lawrence, Kan., product, went full-extension to catch a Simon Romfo pass in the back corner of the end zone from about 15 yards out.
Looking good: Quarterback Trey Feeney put together one of his best practices of the fall, threading the needle on a long ball to Detroit Lakes product Max Gunderson.
Other scrimmage notes
- UND starting quarterback Tommy Schuster struggled early in his plays during the non-tackling portion of the practice. He sailed a few throws high to Bo Belquist and Elijah Klein.
- Cornerback Richard Agyekum, in competition for a starting cornerback role, had a strong practice with a nice tackle on a Grant Romfo play to the edge, then intercepting a Simon Romfo pass intended for Elijah Klein.
- UND split most of the live running plays between Gaven Ziebarth and Grant Romfo in order to protect the health of Luke Skokna, Isaiah Smith and Tyler Hoosman. Romfo was deservedly gassed as the live scrimmage wore on.
- Outside linebacker Matt Koshiol, who is transitioning from the safety position, made a number of plays including combining with defensive end Luke Lennon to smother a Grant Romfo run up the middle.
- The Romfos combined for a big gainer when Simon hit Grant in the flats with lots of room.
- Gardner-Webb transfer Malachi Buckner continues to shine as a playmaker with a big hit on wide receiver Red Wilson and an interception against Simon Romfo.
- Inside linebacker Kason Kelley and Malachi McNeal both made standout plays as they vie for playing time behind Devon Krzanowski and Caden White.
- Grand Forks Central product Sam Strandell made a few plays late in the scrimmage and showed his ball skills in traffic.
- Wide receiver Nick Kupfer, emerging as an option to make the travel roster this season, made a few tough catches in the scrimmage.
- Former UND tight end Hunter Pinke attended the scrimmage with former Fighting Hawks kicker Brady Leach.
- After the scrimmage, UND coaches and 10 players participated in media day in a Memorial Union ballroom.
- UND has an off day Wednesday. The team will take its team picture.