THAT REMINDS ME: Statehood year saw huge 4th of July parade
Bang, bang, bang! The cannon sounded a loud welcome to visitors to Grand Forks on the Fourth of July in 1889. It was the year of statehood, and the Herald waxed eloquently 125 years ago about the brilliant gold of Old King Sol and the cloudless sky.
Bang, bang, bang! The cannon sounded a loud welcome to visitors to Grand Forks on the Fourth of July in 1889.
It was the year of statehood, and the Herald waxed eloquently 125 years ago about the brilliant gold of Old King Sol and the cloudless sky.
Excursions from north and west brought immense crowds, the Herald reported. Great thongs lined the streets for the parade.
“Never before had North Dakota seen anything equal to it,” the Herald declared. “A platoon of mounted police under Chief Hennessy led the parade with the William A. Gorman drum corps and a number of veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic.”
After the parade 125 years ago, people assembled in the Hamilton’s Grove to listen to the oration of the day by Jason Nicheus. There were afternoon sports including a baseball game between Grand Forks and Fargo.
In addition, there was lacrosse, wheel barrow races, sack races, three-legged race and a potato race.
In other items, the Herald was promoting an Indian museum at UND.
“The Indian relics should be preserved in a museum,” the newspaper declared.
“The authorities at North Dakota University are anxious to make as complete a collection as possible of the relics of tribes that formerly occupied this part of America.
“All relics of Indians and mound builders will be thankfully received, labeled and put on exhibit in the museum where people will have the opportunity of inspecting them. This is without doubt the proper place. They are not accessible to many when they are scattered hither and yon.
“There are many farmers throughout Dakota who have picked up or dug up implements or other relics that ought to be placed here in the University museum.
“Let neither indifference or selfishness prevent our University from protecting and preserving all specimens of this character.”
Pages of the Grand Forks Herald in 1889 reflect a growing number of churches here. There was a Methodist and Baptist church. Also St. Paul’s Episcopal, Scandinavian Lutheran and Scandinavian Methodist as well as Congregational.
The Rev. O.P. Vagsnes was scheduled to preach at the Norwegian Lutheran Church in Gotzian Hall.
The German Evangelical Association provided preaching every Sunday evening in the frame building at the corner of Sixth Street and DeMers Avenue opposite the Griggs House. There was Sunday school at 3 p.m., and all Germans were cordially invited by W. Suckor, pastor.
There were Catholic services at St. Michael’s Church, where Father Conaty was pastor. And the newspaper carried other notices from Hauges Lutheran Church, Presbyterian Church and East Grand Forks Chapel.
In other news 125 years ago, the stables and sheds at the fairgrounds in Grand Forks were advertised for sale. The announcement came from Deming and Callender, the contractors. The firm was reported to hold a mechanic’s lien for a large sum of money. And “they are determined to have their pay,” the Herald reported.
“Business men and capitalists of Grand Forks will all be asked to assist the agricultural society in raising the money. The territorial fair is to be held here in September, and the local society must provide all coverance (cq) necessary. Let everybody unite in raising the money required.”
At the same time, work was commencing on the new Herald block at the corner of Third Street and Kittson Avenue. P. McDonnell had the contract for the foundation. John Bartholemew held the contract for brick work. The structure was expected to be ready for use in December of 1889.
Under the heading of “Dakota Commentary” in July 1889, these points were presented:
- There never have been finer prospects for prairie chicken in Dakota. The past winter was a mild one, and the flocks never were more numerous than this past spring.
- Railroads are beginning to announce harvest excursions, and a rush of people expected into Dakota this summer and fall. Let us all pray for one of our old-fashioned crops.
- Dakota has nearly 8,000 school houses.