Valentines can take many forms
Valentine's Day is a celebration that dates back to Feb. 14, 270, when a priest named Valentinus was executed in Rome for supporting Christian martyrs. According to legend, Valentinus, while in jail, befriended his jailer's blind daughter...
Valentine's Day is a celebration that dates back to Feb. 14, 270, when a priest named Valentinus was executed in Rome for supporting Christian martyrs. According to legend, Valentinus, while in jail, befriended his jailer's blind daughter
Current prices are recorded from antiques shows, flea markets, sales and auctions across the United States. Prices vary in different locations because of local economic conditions.
- Depression-glass relish dish, Anniversary pattern, four sections, gold trim, metal holder, 11 inches, $75.
- Cast-iron doorstop, Dutch couple kissing, Hubley No. 332, 4¾- by- 4½ inches, $225.
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm lunchbox, vinyl, 1978, 3½- by 7¼-by-8¾-inches, $240.
- Meissen mug, two panels, gold scrolling, orange background with summer flowers, cherubs in woodland scene, 1800s, 3 3/8 inches, $330.
- Sterling-silver serving spoon and fork, Love Disarmed pattern, Reed and Barton, 10½ inches, $600.
- Valentine greeting card, handmade, heavy paper, six hearts, tulips, starflower center, love verses, c. 1820, 10- by 12- inches, $710.
- Bride's whitework quilt, central star design, quilting with pineapple and feather design, swag and tassel borders, 1920s, 73- by 80-inches, $2,645.
- Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, muslin, red mop hair, original clothing, Averill, 1950s, both 20 inches, $2,455.
- Henry and Henrietta toy travelers, celluloid, windup, CK Japan, suitcase marked "1934," 7 inches, $3,300.
The Kovels answer as many questions as possible through the column. By sending a letter with a question, you give full permission for use in the column or any other Kovel forum. Names and addresses will not be published. We cannot guarantee the return of any photograph, but if a stamped envelope is included, we will try. The volume of mail makes personal answers or appraisals impossible. Write to Kovels, (Grand Forks Herald), King Features Syndicate, 300 W. 57th St., 15th Floor, New York, NY 10019.