THE LIST: Heatbox ... Folk Festival ... Medora Foundation ... etc.
Heatbox - Tonight in Grand Forks: Heatbox, a performer out of Minneapolis, will be at Crosstown Lounge at 10 p.m. tonight as part of the tour to release his new album, "System." Admission: $5; must be 21 or older. 'Same Time' - Show tonight and m...
- Tonight in Grand Forks: Heatbox, a performer out of Minneapolis, will be at Crosstown Lounge at 10 p.m. tonight as part of the tour to release his new album, "System." Admission: $5; must be 21 or older.
- Show tonight and more "Same Time Next Year," a show presented by Greater Grand Forks Community Theatre, will continue its performances at 7:30 p.m. tonight and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday, and wrap up with three shows at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through May 16. Where: Fire Hall Theatre. Cast: Pat DeMars, Erin Hendrickson. Director: Wendy Swerdlow-Peterson. Tickets: $15, $12; (701) 777-4090.
- Saturday in Grand Forks: Springfest, a party featuring live music and more held each year before UND finals week, will be from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at University Park. Bands will be Reconcile, North River Ramblers, Still Fighting It and Colie Paulson, This year's sponsor: Rhombus Guys Pizza. Admission: $5.
Mother's Day Concert
- Sunday in Grand Forks: The 63rd annual Mother's Day Concert will be 2 p.m. Sunday at Grand Forks Kem Temple presented by Grand Forks Central and Red River high schools. The Centralian Chorus, Red River Concert Choir, Central Madrigal Singers and Red River Madrigal Singers will perform. Directors: Paul Barta, Central; Brad Sherwood, Red River. Admission: Free.
Central band/UND musicians
- Tuesday in Grand Forks: The Central High School Bands will welcome two special guests, UND faculty members Ronnie Ingle on trumpet and Paul Nelson on trombone, to its 7:30 p.m. Tuesday Spring Band concert. Three bands will perform at the Central High School auditorium, including the Symphonic Band. Awards will be presented. Central band directors: Christie Aleshire, Brian Opdahl. Admission: Freewill offering to support the music camp scholarship fund.
- Tonight at area casinos: Comedian and host of "Deal or No Deal" Howie Mandel will perform at 8 p.m. tonight at Shooting Star Casino, Mahnomen, Minn. Tickets: (800) 313-7469. Country singer Tracy Byrd will perform at 8 p.m. tonight at Dakota Magic Casino, Hankinson, N.D.. Tickets: (800) 325-6825.
Red River prom
- Saturday in Grand Forks: The Grand March for the Red River High School Prom will be Saturday at the Alerus Center. Doors will open for spectators at 6:30 p.m. and close at 7:30 p.m. You can enter through Alerus Center Door 1. Admission: $1.
Art & Wine Walk
- May 16 in GF/EGF: The first Art & Wine Walk of the season will be in downtown Grand Forks and East Grand Forks from 1 to 5 p.m. May 16. Various businesses downtown will host local artists and their work. Art & Wine walkers are welcome to meet the artists and see and purchase art. To purchase a map of the participating venues, which is $10, start at the Blue Moose Bar & Grill in East Grand Forks or International Guesthouse (formerly the Town House) in Grand Forks. The $10 includes a wristband for those 21 or older who would like to sample wine along the way. Info: (701) 772-3710.
- Annette Schilling: Annette Schilling has been hired as public relations and marketing director for the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation. She is filling the position vacated by the death of Wade Westin. Schilling began her career in the hospitality and tourism industry in 1994. Most recently she was employed with the North Dakota Department of Commerce Tourism Division as the Culture and Heritage Marketing Director since 2003. Schilling holds a bachelor's degree in marketing and master's degree in management. Medora Musical: The first show is June 3.
Folk Festival tickets
- Available until May 31: The deadline is May 31 to buy early bird tickets for the Winnipeg Folk Festival July 9-12. This year's festival lineup will include k.d. lang, Arlo Guthrie, Iron & Wine, Great Lake Swimmers, Serena Ryder, Neko Case, Oumou Sangaré, Xavier Rudd, King Sunny Adé and more. Web site: www.winnipegfolkfestival.ca/ . Tickets: Call (204) 780-3333 or toll-free (888) 655-5354, www.ticketmaster.ca/ .