SUMMER FARE: Mountain celebrates Icelandic heritage
Icelanders across the United States and Canada will gather in Mountain, N.D. for the annual Deuce of August Icelandic celebration Friday to Sunday. Based around the anniversary of Iceland's independence on Aug. 2, 1874 , the town marks the occasi...
Icelanders across the United States and Canada will gather in Mountain, N.D. for the annual Deuce of August Icelandic celebration Friday to Sunday.
Based around the anniversary of Iceland's independence on Aug. 2, 1874 , the town marks the occasion with a weekend full of events celebrating the Icelandic culture and heritage.
This year, Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson, Iceland's new prime minister, will visit, taking part in the parade Saturday and making a speech. He'll be the fourth prime minister to take part in Mountain's celebration.
Highlights of the weekend's activities include a parade down Main Street Saturday morning beginning at 10:30 a.m. and a street dance on Friday and Saturday nights at 9 p.m.
The street dance will be paired with live music by Tripwire Friday night and Back for More Saturday night. A fireworks show is scheduled to follow Saturday's street dance.
Inflatable games, car show and pedal tractor pull round out the remainder of events on Saturday.
On Sunday, held west of the Mountain Community Center will be the North Dakota State Tractor & Pickup Pulling Contest at 1 p.m.
More info: www.august2nd.com .
• The Empire Theatre Company will hold its first performance of "Avenue Q" at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Empire Arts Center in Grand Forks. Tickets are $17 for adults and $15 for students and ETC members. Shows will run Tuesday to Saturday and pick up again Aug. 6 to 10. Parental discretion is advised by producers. The show may not be suitable for young children.
• Family Fun Night will be at Grand Forks' Lincoln Park 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. A parade, an ice cream social, games and face painting round out the nights activities. It's free and open to the public. More info: Park District, (701) 746-2750.
• The Movies in the Park series will follow Family Fun Night Tuesday with a showing of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" at Lincoln Park. The show will begin at sundown or around 9 p.m.
• An art show will be held by Development Homes Inc. 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at 3880 S. Columbia Road, Grand Forks. More info: (701) 335-4000.
• The Street Wizards Car Show will be held 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Floyd B. Olson Park in Thief River Falls. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and entry fee per vehicle is $10. Free kids games will also be available 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. More info: www.trfstreetwizards.com .