OUTDOORS CALENDAR: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet... Larimore Family Fun Day... Red River Valley Sportsmen's Show
Banquets o March 16: Northwest Minnesota Elk Country Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation sixth annual big game banquet, 5 p.m., Ralph Engelstad Arena, Thief River Falls. Tickets/info: Go to rmef.org, select "Attend an Event" and select "...
• March 16: Northwest Minnesota Elk Country Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation sixth annual big game banquet, 5 p.m., Ralph Engelstad Arena, Thief River Falls. Tickets/info: Go to rmef.org, select "Attend an Event" and select "MN" or call Cheryl Lindquist, (218) 386-1986.
• April 6: Red River Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 23rd annual big game banquet, Alerus Center Ballroom, Grand Forks. Doors open at 5 p.m., with dinner at 7. Info: Tony Kelley, (701) 775-3770.
• April 6: Grand Gobblers Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation hunting heritage banquet, 5:30 p.m., Ramada Inn, Grand Forks. Tickets: $50, single; $65, couple. Info: Marc Kurz, (701) 741-2807.
• March 10: Larimore Family Fun Day, Larimore (N.D.) Recreation Area. Fishing contest from 1 to 3 p.m. for youths 15 and younger; all youths who register will be eligible for prizes. Registration will be in the parking lot near the boat ramp. Lunch will be available, and a raffle for adults is scheduled after the youth fishing awards. Parents are welcome.
• March 15-17: Vexilar Ice Team University, Leech Lake near Walker, Minn., headquartered at Chase on the Lake Resort and Reeds Sporting Goods. Cost $499/person or $750/two people; includes meals, lodging and guided on-the-ice instruction from such ice fishing pros as Dave Genz and Jason Mitchell; limited to 60 participants. Info/registration: email@example.com .
• March 7-10: Red River Valley Sportsmen's Show, Fargodome. Show hours 5 to 9 p.m. March 7, noon to 9 p.m. March 8, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. March 9 and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 10. Admission: $7, adults; $2.50, age 6 to 12; free, 5 and younger. Info: fargosportshow.com.
• March 8-10: Minnesota Deer Classic, National Sports Center, Blaine, Minn. Trophy measuring, hunting and wildlife seminars, youth activities and exhibitors. Show hours from 3 to 9 p.m. March 8, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 9 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 10. Daily admission: $10, adults; $7, youth 12 to 17; free, 11 and younger. Free parking.
• March 9: Snowshoes and snowy owls, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sullys Hill National Game Preserve near Fort Totten, N.D. Join a guided snowshoe hike or explore on your own. Warm up inside the Visitor Center with a nature movie, "The Magic of Snowy Owls," or make a snowy owl craft.
• April 13: Archery 101, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sullys Hill National Game Preserve near Fort Totten, N.D. Learn the basics of shooting a bow and arrow; for all ages. Info: (701) 766-4272.