NDSU president adds student to Cabinet
FARGO - North Dakota State University President Dean Bresciani wants a student at the table where important decisions are made. Bresciani announced Tuesday that he is adding Kevin Black, NDSU's student body president, to his Cabinet. It will be t...
FARGO - North Dakota State University President Dean Bresciani wants a student at the table where important decisions are made.
Bresciani announced Tuesday that he is adding Kevin Black, NDSU's student body president, to his Cabinet.
It will be the first time in NDSU's history that a student will be a member of the president's Cabinet, which is primarily made up of vice presidents and other administrators.
It's a model Bresciani says worked successfully at Texas A&M University, where he worked as vice president before starting at NDSU on June 15.
"It had phenomenal results by everyone involved," Bresciani said. "The students offered a perspective and insight in a lot of policy formulation that was extremely helpful."
Black, who will attend his first Cabinet meeting next week, said it will be a privilege to provide student input.
"It's very crucial to have that student perspective at the table where the administration-level decisions are made," Black said.
Bresciani also added Laura McDaniel, assistant vice president of university relations, to his Cabinet to enhance communications with people around the state.
That brings the Cabinet to 14 members.
Bresciani said he has considered other changes to his Cabinet, including the addition of a faculty or staff representative, but he doesn't want the group to get so large that it becomes counter-productive.
"For the time being, I think we've got all the voices within the university at least indirectly represented," Bresciani said.
In addition, Bresciani announced Tuesday that Bruce Bollinger will continue to be vice president for finance and administration.
Interim President Dick Hanson appointed Bollinger to a one-year term following the resignation of John Adams, and Bresciani has extended Bollinger's appointment. Bollinger will be paid $166,200 a year.
NDSU president's Cabinet
- Craig Schnell, provost
- D.C. Coston, vice president for agriculture and university extension
- Gene Taylor, athletic director
- Jim Miller, executive director of the NDSU Development Foundation
- Evie Myers, vice president for equity and global outreach
- Barb Pederson, executive assistant to the president
- Bruce Bollinger, vice president for finance and administration
- Rick Johnson, general counsel
- Bonnie Neas, vice president for information technology
- Phil Boudjouk, vice president for research, creative activities and technology transfer
- Prakash Mathew, vice president for student affairs
- Keith Bjerke, vice president for university relations
- Laura McDaniel, assistant vice president for university relations
- Kevin Black, student body president
The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead and the Herald are Forum Communications Co. newspapers.