Helping hands: Van Winkle benefit ... Peach fundraiser ...
o Van Winkle benefit: A spaghetti feed to benefit Edward Van Winkle Sr. will be 5 to 10 tonight at the East Grand Forks American Legion club. Winkle is undergoing treatment for throat cancer, and funds will offset his medical bills. There will be...
• Van Winkle benefit: A spaghetti feed to benefit Edward Van Winkle Sr. will be 5 to 10 tonight at the East Grand Forks American Legion club. Winkle is undergoing treatment for throat cancer, and funds will offset his medical bills. There will be a silent auction, bake sale and entertainment from Mikey's Mobile DJ service. Free will offering for the spaghetti. To donate: Edward Van Winkle Benefit, Gate City Bank.
• Peach fundraiser: Grand Forks Youth for Christ will be holding their peach fundraiser in August. Sean Patterson, executive director, expects delivery dates for the peaches to be Tuesday and Aug. 20. Supporters can pick up and place walkup orders at Faith Evangelical Free Church at 1400 24th Ave. S. in Grand Forks, or preorder at www.gfyfc.org .
• Lions fishing charity: The Thief River Falls Lions Club is hosting its annual fishing tournament 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 17 on the Thief and Red Lake Rivers. Proceeds go to improvements at Lions Park in Thief River Falls. Entry fee is $20 for adults, $10 for children 12 and younger, and a late registration fee of $5 will be charged after Sunday. Register by calling (218) 681-3102 or downloading registration forms at www.trflions.org and sending them to Justin Kjos Agency, 1306 Main Ave. S., Thief River Falls, MN 56701.
• Book sale: The Friends of Ethiopia Reads Group of Grand Forks will be holding a used book sale on Aug. 22 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at 1708 Cottonwood St., Grand Forks. The proceeds will be used to promote literacy in Ethiopia and benefit Ethiopia Reads. Books are available for all age-levels and genres and will cost $.50 or 3 for $1 for paperbacks and $1 or 6 for $5 for hardcover.
• Muscular Dystrophy Association: Customers of Jiffy Lube in Grand Forks can donate $3 to support the Muscular Dystrophy Association and receive a coupon book with $100 in savings through Sept. 2.
• Special Olympics volunteers: Special Olympics North Dakota is seeking volunteers for the organizing committee of the State Soccer and Bocce Tournament held Sept. 14 and 15 in Grand Forks. No previous experience is required. Thos interested can call (701) 746-0331.
• Amazing Race for Courage: Organizers of the Amazing Race for Courage Grand Forks are seeking donations from local businesses for the 10 a.m. Oct. 12 event at University Park. The race benefits the Red River Child Advocacy Center, which helps abused children. Info: George Jirout, Phi Alpha and Student Social Work Organization at UND, (701) 317-0752.
-- Herald staff report