Helping hands: Film festival ... Sunshine Fest ... Pancake breakfast
o Film festival: The Depot Preservation Alliance will show railroad travel films and documentaries beginning at 1:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at the Historic Baudette (Minn.) Depot. The films are free, but any donations made will help support other Depot act...
• Film festival: The Depot Preservation Alliance will show railroad travel films and documentaries beginning at 1:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at the Historic Baudette (Minn.) Depot. The films are free, but any donations made will help support other Depot activities and daily operating expenses. Info: (218) 395-0318.
• Sunshine Fest: The Sunshine Memorial Foundation will hold their annual Sunshine Fest from 8 a.m. to noon Jan. 25 at the Ralph Engelstad Arena. Participants can register for an outdoor 5K run or an indoor 3K walk, as well as participate in the health and wellness fair with music, activities and prizes. Registration is $10 for the 3K and $25 for the 5K. All proceeds raised will help support the Sunshine Hospitality Home project, a place for patients and their families affected by critical illnesses, diseases and injuries who must travel to fulfill their healthcare needs. Info: (701) 388-9357. Register: www.sunshinememorial.org .
• Pancake breakfast: Feed My Starving Children will host a fundraiser from 8 to 10 a.m. Jan. 25 at the Ground Round, 2800 32nd Ave. S., Grand Forks. The pancake breakfast will cost $5 per person, which will be used to support the organization. Info: (701) 775-4646.
• Johnson benefit: A Kourage for Kyle Benefit will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 25 at the Grand Forks County Office Building, 151 S. Fourth St. The benefit is to assist Kyle Johnson, 28, a Grand Forks Health Department Mosquito Control worker who was injured when a train struck a work vehicle occupied by Johnson. He is currently in rehabilitation at the Courage Center in the Twin Cities. The benefit will feature a baked potato bar, bake sale and silent auction to help Johnson with medical costs. Those who cannot attend the event can donate at ndad.org/fundraisers.asp. Info; (800) 532-6323.
• Fashion show: The Grand Forks Good Girls Club and Truyu Aesthetic Center are co-sponsoring the 2014 Downtown Fashion Night Jan. 28. The event starts with light hors d'voures at 6 p.m. at Sadie's Couture Floral and Kittson, 402 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks. It then moves to the Empire Arts Center, 415 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks, where the fashion show will start at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $30, which will be used to support Camp Good Mourning, a grief camp for children and teens ages six through 18 who have lost a loved one. Participating businesses will also donate 10 percent of their sales by event attendees through Feb. 2 to the camp. Info: (701) 317-3255, bit.ly/1aoCjYq.
• Ice fishing tournament: University of Minnesota-Crookston will host the fourth annual Justin Knebel Memorial Ice Fishing Tournament Feb. 1 at the Zippel Bay Resort on Lake of the Woods, Williams, Minn. Registration is limited to the first 150 and begins at 10 a.m. on the ice at the tournament site with fishing from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Prizes will be awarded to the first person to catch a fish, along with prizes for the largest of each species caught during the tournament. Tickets are available for $20 from Alysa, (701) 215-4300, or Bill, (218) 281-8436. Proceeds will be used to support the Justin Knebel Memorial Scholarship Fund at UMC. Info: (218) 281-8436.
• Gierszewski benefit: Travis Gierszewski, 36, died in a car accident Nov. 23, leaving behind a wife and four children ages four to 17. Gierszewski was self-employed and had no life insurance. To help the family a benefit will be held from 3 to 8 p.m. Feb. 1 at the East Grand Forks American Legion, 1009 Central Ave. N.W. The event will include a free will offering, taco in a bag, bake sale and silent auction. Funds will be matched by Thrivent Financial. People can also help by donating items to be used in the silent auction by calling (218) 779-6215 by Jan. 18 or by making a donation at Alerus Financial in Amy Gierszewski's name. Info: (218) 779-6215.
• Online fundraiser: The North Dakota 4-H Foundation, ND FFA Foundation and other non-profits are participating in the seventh annual Giving Hearts Day Feb. 13. During this 24-hour online fundraiser, people can go to www.impactgiveback.org to donate to these organizations. Gifts of $10 or more to a 4-H Foundation North Dakota will be matched up to $50,000. Info: (701) 947-2568.
• Ice fishing tournament: The Wadena Area College Foundation is bringing back the Holes for Poles ice fishing fundraiser Feb. 21-23 on Lake of the Woods, Minn. Prizes include nearly $1,000 in ice fishing gear from Clam Outdoors, in addition to other cash and prizes. Tickets are $75 for the Social and Shore Lunch and day of ice fishing or $15 for the lunch only. Proceeds will be used to help fund scholarships for students in Minnesota State Community and Technical College's Electrical Line Work diploma program in Baudette, Minn. Info: (218) 631-7931, email@example.com .
Share news about benefit events by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org ; include "Helping Hands" in the subject heading.