AT THE MOVIES: 'Crazy Heart' ... 'Shutter Island' ... etc.
New this week: - "Crazy Heart": A broken-down country singer, Bad Blake, becomes involved with a journalist and takes stock of his career and his life. With Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell. Based on the novel by Thomas Cobb. Writte...
New this week:
- "Crazy Heart": A broken-down country singer, Bad Blake, becomes involved with a journalist and takes stock of his career and his life. With Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell. Based on the novel by Thomas Cobb. Written and directed by Scott Cooper. (One hour, 52 minutes) (R)
- "Shutter Island": Two U.S. marshals are summoned to a fortresslike island housing a hospital for the criminally insane to investigate the implausible disappearance of a multiple murderess from a locked room. With Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, Patricia Clarkson, Emily Mortimer, Jackie Earle Haley, Max Von Sydow. Screenplay by Laeta Kalogridis, based on the novel by Dennis Lehane. Directed by Martin Scorsese. (Two hours, 18 minutes) (R)
Returning this week:
- "Avatar 3D": A band of humans is pitted in a battle against a distant planet's indigenous population. (2:46) (PG-13)
- "The Blind Side": A poor teen is taken in by a well-to-do family with challenges and discoveries for all. (2:08) (PG-13)
- "The Book of Eli": A lone warrior in the post-apocalypse fights to bring civilization the knowledge that could be the key to its redemption. (1:58) (R)
- "Dear John": Over seven tumultuous years and dangerous deployments, a soldier and a college student stay in touch through their letters. (1:48) (PG-13)
- "Edge of Darkness": A detective investigates his daughter's death and discovers her secret life, a cover-up and government collusion. (1:48) (R)
- "From Paris With Love": A trigger-happy, loose cannon agent leads an ambassador's young aide on a white-knuckle caper in Paris. (1:32) (R)
- "Legion": A diner becomes the battleground for survival of the human race when God sends angels to bring on the Apocalypse. (1:40) (R)
- "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief": A teenager who descended from a Greek god sets out to settle an ongoing battle between the gods. (2:00) (PG)
- "Sherlock Holmes": Holmes and his partner Watson engage in a battle of wits and brawn with a nemesis who threatens England. (2:08) (PG-13)
- "Tooth Fairy": A hard-charging hockey player nicknamed "The Tooth Fairy" is sentenced to one week as a real tooth fairy. (1:41) (PG)
- "Valentine's Day": Couples and singles in L.A. break up and make up based on the pressures and expectations of Valentine's Day. (2:05) (PG-13)
- "When in Rome": A young, ambitious New Yorker on a whirlwind trip to Rome encounters a fountain of love and is pursued by suitors. (1:31) (PG-13)
- "The Wolfman": An American man returns to his ancestral homeland, is bitten and subsequently cursed by, a werewolf. (2:05) (R)
- Carmike 10, Grand Forks: (701) 772-4719; www.carmike.com .
- River Cinema, East Grand Forks: (218) 399-9000; www.rivercinema12.com .