Area Memorial Day events
Sunday - The Memorial Day Service at Milton, N.D., is set for 10 a.m. Sunday at the Little Star Theatre. A noon lunch will be served at the American Legion Club. Monday - American Legion Post No. 6 will have a Memorial Day program beginning at 9:...
- The Memorial Day Service at Milton, N.D., is set for 10 a.m. Sunday at the Little Star Theatre. A noon lunch will be served at the American Legion Club.
- American Legion Post No. 6 will have a Memorial Day program beginning at 9:30 a.m. Monday at the flagpole at Grand Forks Memorial Park Cemetery, 1003 N. 23rd St. Speaker will be Maj. Marcus P. Kropf, dental flight commander, 319th Medical Group.
- Disabled American Veterans, Andy Nomland Chapter 2, and Veterans of Foreign Wars, Raymond W. Quesnell Post 1874, and their Auxiliaries of Grand Forks will have a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. Monday at Memorial Park Cemetery South, 3002 S. Washington St., Grand Forks. Speaker will be Capt. Andrew Nathan, 1-188th Air Defense Artillery Battalion S3 Operations Officer. In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be in the Norman Funeral Home parking lot.
- A Memorial Day Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Monday at Calvary Cemetery North, at the corner of Columbia Road and Gateway Drive, Grand Forks.
- The East Grand Forks American Legion Post No. 157 and VFW Post 3817 will have a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. Monday at Resurrection Cemetery with guest speaker Col. Scott W. Rizer, vice commander of the 319th Air Base Wing, Grand Forks Air Force Base. The honor guard will visit the following cemeteries: South Bethany, 8 a.m.; North Bethany, 8:10 a.m.; Holy Trinity Lutheran/Czech National, 8:30 a.m.; Tabor Presbyterian, 8:45 p.m.; Tabor Catholic, 8:55 a.m.; Nesbit, 9:20 a.m.; Resthaven, 9:35 a.m. In case of inclement weather, there will be an 11 a.m. luncheon at American Legion Post 157.
- American Legion Post 159 will have a Memorial Day program beginning at 9 a.m. Monday at the Oklee (Minn.) Area Veterans Memorial Park of Oklee.
- Middle Grove Lutheran Church of Mekinock, N.D., will have a Memorial Day graveside service at 10:30 a.m. Monday. The Manvel (N.D.) American Legion Post will lead the ceremony. Lunch will follow from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The church, 1981 24th Ave. N.E., is four miles west and four miles south of Manvel, or about five miles east of Mekinock. Info: (701) 343-6292 or online at www.livingfaithlutheran.net .
- A Memorial Day military service will begin at 10 a.m. Monday at the Community Center Park, Pekin, N.D., followed by an 11 a.m. service at Pekin Lutheran Church. The Pekin American Legion Auxiliary will host a luncheon at noon at the Pekin Community Center.
- A memorial service will begin at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the Pembina State Museum, Pembina, N.D., with participants from the Kern-Thompson American Legion Post No. 77 of Pembina and Legion Posts from Canada, and families of prisoners of war, soldiers missing in action and deceased. After the ceremony an honor guard will place wreaths at area gravesites with a wreath ceremony on the Pembina River Bridge to honor those lost at sea. The American Legion Auxiliary will serve lunch at noon the Pembina Community Center. Info: (701) 825-6840.
- The W.L. Cowper American Legion Post 238 and Auxiliary of Michigan, N.D., will observe Memorial Day on Monday at the following sites: West Sarnia, 8 a.m.; Enterprise Finnish, 8:30 a.m.; Lomice, 9 a.m.; Zahradka, 9:30 a.m.; East Sarnia, 10 a.m.; St. Andrew, 10:45 a.m.; Melrose, noon; Michigan Cemetery, 12:30 p.m.; program at Civic Center, 1 p.m.
- The Crookston Veterans Day Council will have a Memorial Day program at 10 a.m. Monday at Oakdale Cemetery, Crookston. Here is a schedule for the day: 8:30 a.m., Hafslo Lutheran Cemetery; 9 a.m., St. Peter's Catholic Church Cemetery, Gentilly; 10 a.m., Oakdale Cemetery, Crookston; 11 a.m., Naval Service, Sampson's Addition Bridge; noon, Sandhill Lutheran Church; 12:45 p.m., Crookston Memorial Walkway. The Crookston Veterans Council is American Legion Post 20, VFW Post 1902 and Disabled American Veterans Chapter 14.