Another Grand Forks street is set to be torn up as construction season rumbles on.

Workers are slated to begin a $287,000 mill and overlay project on South 17th Street from 17th Avenue South to Continental Drive and all of Willow Drive today but the road won’t be closed to traffic until crews lay down -- “overlay” -- a new road surface. That timeline has yet to be determined.

Parking on that stretch of 17th will be prohibited throughout the project, which city staff expect to wrap up in mid-July, assuming the weather cooperates.

The city is set to pay for 80 percent of the mill and overlay there -- about $229,000 -- and 213 property owners along it are set to pay for the remaining 20 percent -- about $57,000.

The project is not one of three that will completely close a city street this summer, according to city staff. Those are on DeMers Avenue from the Sorlie Bridge to Sixth Street, Cherry Street from 11th Avenue South to 17th Avenue South, and University Avenue from the English Coulee Greenway to North Columbia Road.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

Other projects this summer may close a portion of the road or restrict parking, but traffic will not be detoured.