Professional boxer killed in BIA-involved shooting Sunday evening on Standing Rock

FBI agents responded to a late-night shooting March 14 involving a Bureau of Indian Affairs police officer that left boxer Ryan White Mountain-Soft dead in McLaughlin, S.D.

We are part of The Trust Project.

PIERRE, S.D. — A 30-year-old professional boxer and MMA fighter has died in an officer-involved shooting on the Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation, according to an FBI spokesman.

Ryan White Mountain-Soft was in McLaughlin, S.D., when he was killed by a police officer with the Bureau of Indian Affairs in a shooting on the evening of Sunday, March 14. FBI agents responded to the event, says Kevin Smith, a public affairs officer based in Minneapolis.

"The FBI is investigating the circumstances of the shooting," said Smith, in an email. "Because this is an open and active investigation, we cannot make further comment at this time."

A law enforcement agent in Fort Yates, N.D., directed all inquiries to the FBI. Similarly, a person answering the phone at BIA's Great Plains Region office in Aberdeen, S.D., said the BIA in Washington, D.C., handles press requests.

The BIA has yet to respond to a request for more information from Forum News Service.


According to , Soft resided in Rapid City, S.D., and competed in the "cruiser" division as a boxer, amassing a 4-and-12 record in fights going back to 2009. The website lists Soft's death as Monday, March 15.

A separate article from says Soft's final fight came in November against former world champion Tavoris Cloud in Daytona Beach. His last boxing win came at Prairie Knights Casino in Fort Yates in late 2018.

Soft also competed in mixed martial arts.

This article will be updated when new information becomes available.

What to read next
Jennifer Trader, Discovery Elementary School teacher, receives the UND Phi Delta Kappa Graduate Scholarship
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
Smoke bombs and crowd control tactics were employed as protesters took to the streets in an unpermitted protest that police say challenged their ability to keep everyone safe.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.