We see that you have javascript disabled. Please enable javascript and refresh the page to continue reading local news. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the customer support team at 1-833-248-7801.



Jamestown mother still seeking justice as two year anniversary of son's murder approaches

Witnesses told police 27-year-old Gunnar Syverson took his own life. Police believe the scene was staged to cover up the murder.

Pamela Syverson prays in front of her son's new 4,000 pound grave monument.
Matt Henson/WDAY
We are part of The Trust Project.

FELTON, MN - Tears slowly dripped down Pamela Syverson's face as she took in what she called a bittersweet moment.

"He deserves something really special, because he really was," she said fighting back those tears.

A 4,000 pound grave monument was put into place at the Felton Cemetery to honor her late son Gunnar.

The top piece, Gunnar on his motorcycle wearing his riding jacket.


It took an artist in India a year to sculpt.

Gunnar is laid to rest next to his grandmother.

"It's beautiful, it's a blessing, but it's hard at the same time," said his mother.

Not only is she still mourning the loss of her only child after 12 miscarriages but she's angry too.

"He was my miracle, but only for 27 years, because there is evil in the world," said Syverson.

27-year-old Gunnar Syverson was found dead outside a home in Hamberg in Wells County, North Dakota, two years ago.

People at the home at the time said he hung himself from one of the trees in the backyard.

However, according to court documents investigators believe it may have been staged.


They have labeled Gunnar Syverson's death a homicide.

The medical examiner said it appeared he was strangled.

Court papers indicate police have suspects, but nobody has been arrested.

"I will never give up, never," said his mother referring to justice for her son.

That's why on the backside of the monument the phrase "justiceforgunnar" is engraved.

"I'm in ill health, my clock has been ticking for a few years, if I'm not here to get it done, people need to know it needs to get done," she said explaining why it's on there.

All Pamela can do now is pray. Pray for healing for her family and for justice.

She knows 'Gunnar the Runner' is riding free in heaven.


She just hopes his killer or killers aren't running from the police for much longer.

"I need answers, nothing is going to bring my son back, he deserves justice," she said.

The North Dakota BCI is investigating the homicide.

Attorney General Drew Wrigley, who oversees the agency, says it's an active investigation, but there are no further details we can appropriately share right now.

Gunnar's family is offering a $25,000 reward for an arrest and conviction in his case.

Matt Henson is an Emmy award-winning reporter/photographer/editor for WDAY. Prior to joining WDAY in 2019, Matt was the main anchor at WDAZ in Grand Forks for four years. He was born and raised in the suburbs of Philadelphia and attended college at Lyndon State College in northern Vermont, where he was recognized twice nationally, including first place, by the National Academy for Arts and Science for television production. Matt enjoys being a voice for the little guy. He focuses on crimes and courts and investigative stories. Just as often, he shares tear-jerking stories and stories of accomplishment. Matt enjoys traveling to small towns across North Dakota and Minnesota to share their stories. He can be reached at mhenson@wday.com and at 610-639-9215. When he's not at work (rare) Matt resides in Moorhead and enjoys spending time with his daughter, golfing and attending Bison and Sioux games.
What to read next
Members Only
Matthew and Michelle Johnson can often be found on the weekends selling a selection of goods at area farmers markets and street fairs. This summer, their son Zander, 13, and daughter Tamari, 11, followed in their footsteps, each starting a business of their own.
At least 13 Native American boarding schools existed in North Dakota, including a large federally run institution at Fort Totten on the Spirit Lake Reservation.
Rather than continue to invest in the aging building, which was completed in 1937, the Devils Lake School Board determined the best use of taxpayer money would be to invest in a new middle school building. Not everyone agrees.
St. Benedict, which has been at its rural Horace site since 1882, finds its growth potential limited by the path of the diversion channel, which the parish decided makes the location unviable over the long term.