ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin, armorer charged with involuntary manslaughter in 'Rust' shooting

Baldwin has denied responsibility for Hutchins' death and said live rounds should never have been allowed onto the set of the low-budget movie.

US-NEWS-BALDWIN-PROPGUN-MCT
Alec Baldwin on the “Rust” set immediately following the shooting of Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza. The Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office will decide later this month whether to file charges against Baldwin and others for their role in her death.
Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Offi / TNS
We are part of The Trust Project.

A New Mexico prosecutor on Thursday charged actor Alec Baldwin and others in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during the filming of Western "Rust."

District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced involuntary manslaughter charges against Baldwin and the film's armorer after more than a year of investigation into the October 2021 shooting on a film set outside Santa Fe.

Assistant director David Halls has signed a plea agreement for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon, the prosecutor said in a statement.

“After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the ‘Rust’ film crew,” Carmack-Altwies said. “On my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”

Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Under New Mexico law, involuntary manslaughter is a fourth-degree felony and is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Hutchins was killed when a revolver Baldwin was rehearsing with during filming in New Mexico fired a live round that hit her and movie director Joel Souza, who survived.

The sheriff's office focused on how live rounds got onto a movie set and how they were loaded into a firearm.

FILE PHOTO: Santa Fe authorities hold news conference on shooting on Alec Baldwin movie set
FILE PHOTO: District attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies speaks at a news conference after actor Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the film set of the movie "Rust" in Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S., October 27, 2021.
Adria Malcolm / Reuters

Baldwin has denied responsibility for Hutchins' death and said live rounds should never have been allowed onto the set of the low-budget movie. Baldwin said he was told the gun was "cold," an industry term meaning it is safe to use.

In a 2021 television interview, the actor told ABC News he did not pull the trigger of the replica Pietta .45-caliber long Colt revolver and it fired after he cocked it while rehearsing camera angles with Hutchins.

An FBI forensic test of the single-action revolver found it "functioned normally" and would not fire without the trigger being pulled.

Carmack-Altwies last year hired a special prosecutor and received $318,000 in state funds to pursue what she believed would be high-profile, costly jury trials should charges be filed.

More Nation/World coverage:

New Mexico's worker safety agency in April fined the film's production company the maximum amount possible for what it described as "willful" safety lapses leading to Hutchin's death.

ADVERTISEMENT

The agency found Rust Move Productions LLC knew firearm safety procedures were not being followed and showed "plain indifference" to the hazards.

______________________________________________________

This story was written by one of our partner news agencies. Forum Communications Company uses content from agencies such as Reuters, Kaiser Health News, Tribune News Service and others to provide a wider range of news to our readers. Learn more about the news services FCC uses here.

What To Read Next
The party's vote on Saturday replaces the famed Iowa caucuses as the first in the nation with South Carolina.
President Biden said he had issued an order on Wednesday to take down the balloon, but the Pentagon had recommended waiting until it could be done over open water.
"I believe if we're able to get to an agreement, we could have a funding agreement for the next two years," McCarthy said.
The tamarin monkey disappearance was the latest in a string of suspicious activity at the zoo, which included the cutting open of enclosures and the suspicious death of a 35-year-old vulture.