WASHINGTON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Thousands more Afghans who may be targets of Taliban violence due to their U.S. affiliations will have the opportunity to resettle as refugees in the United States under a new program announced by the State Department on Monday.
Reuters exclusively reported on plans to set up the "Priority Two" refugee program, covering Afghans who worked for U.S.-funded projects and for U.S.-based non-government bodies and media outlets, earlier on Monday.
"In light of increased levels of Taliban violence, the U.S. government is working to provide certain Afghans, including those who worked with the United States, the opportunity for refugee resettlement to the United States," the State Department said in the announcement.
"This designation expands the opportunity to permanently resettle in the United States to many thousands of Afghans and their immediate family members who may be at risk."
The announcement of the program comes as fighting surges in Afghanistan ahead of the formal completion of the U.S. troop withdrawal at the end of this month, with the Taliban pushing to capture key provincial capitals.
U.S. President Joe Biden has faced pressure from lawmakers and advocacy groups to aid Afghans at risk of Taliban retaliation because of their association with the United States during the 20-year war.
Those who worked as employees of contractors, locally employed staff and interpreters and translators for the U.S. government or armed forces are eligible for the new designation, as well as Afghans employed by a U.S.-based media organization or non-governmental organization (NGO), the State Department said.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken will deliver remarks on the program at 2 p.m. (1800 GMT), the department said.
The new program for Afghans requires applicants to be referred by a U.S. agency or for the senior-most U.S. citizen employee of an NGO or media organization headquartered in the United States.
Once they have applied, they will be contacted by email to let them know they are in the system and will then have to make their own way out of Afghanistan to a third country, a senior State Department official said.
The process from that point involves security screening and can take from 12 to 14 months, said the official, who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity.
"We've already been in discussion with neighboring countries, as well as (the U.N. refugee agency), to be prepared for potential outflows," said another official who briefed reporters, adding that it was important that Pakistan's borders with Afghanistan remained open, while others might travel to Turkey via Iran.
That requirement differs from an existing refugee program for Iraqis, which allows Iraqis to apply directly but has been indefinitely suspended while U.S. officials pursue a sweeping fraud investigation.
The Priority Two program applies to Afghans do not qualify for the Special Immigration Visa (SIV) program that covers interpreters and others who worked for the U.S. government, and their families.
About 200 SIV applicants whose visas are in the final stages of processing and family members flew into the United States last week at the start of an evacuation effort dubbed "Operation Allies Refuge" that could include as many as 50,000 people or more.
A second plane carrying several hundred more Afghan SIV applicants arrived overnight in the United States and they will join the first arrivals at Fort Lee, Virginia, a U.S. official said on Monday.
(Reporting by Lisa Lambert, Ted Hesson, Jonathan Landay and Idrees Ali, Simon Lewis and Daphne Psaledakis; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne, Timothy Heritage, Giles Elgood and Jonathan Oatis)