One northbound lane reopened on Interstate 29 near Reynolds after truck fire

The road reopened partially around 2:30 p.m.

I 29 accident 2.jpg
A burned-out semi-trailer waits for removal at the site of an accident on I-29 south of Reynolds Wednesday morning, January 12, 2022.
Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald<br/>

The North Dakota Department of Transportation and the North Dakota Highway Patrol have reopened Interstate 29 north at mile marker 121 south of Reynolds after a semi-truck fire closed a portion of the road on Wednesday, Jan. 12.

One lane will remain closed while cleanup efforts are ongoing

On Wednesday, Jan. 12 at approximately 8:39 am, a CMV driver who was driving north on I-29 near Reynolds at mile marker 121.5, noticed smoke from the trailer he was pulling, according to a release from the North Dakota Highway Patrol. The driver stopped the vehicle and unhooked the trailer, which was on fire.

The load was a hazardous material, a corrosive liquid, that was being hauled north to Canada.

I 29 accident1.jpg
An emergency worker photographs what's left of a burned-out semi-trailer on I-29 south of Reynolds, ND, Wednesday, January 12, 2022.
Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald<br/>

In addition to the Traill County Sheriff’s Department; NDHP; Reynolds Fire and Rescue; Buxton Fire Department; Grand Forks Fire Department; and the North Dakota Department of Transportation are on scene.


The driver, 49; and co-driver, 32; were unharmed and no other injuries are reported. There are no pending charges.

I-29 North was previously closed from Exit 118 to 123 due to a traffic incident in the area.

I 29 accident.jpg
Emergency personnel work to clear the site where a sem-trailer burned south of Reynolds, ND, Wednesday morning on I-29.
Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald<br/>

Related Topics: ACCIDENTS
What To Read Next
Statement comes after reports of Chinese students and faculty at UND expressing discomfort over Grand Forks mayor's comment about "Chinese connections" in the wake of the Fufeng decision.
Final community input session scheduled for Feb. 22.
The site is being looked at as the potential future location for Riverside Christian School, which currently is in East Grand Forks.
Johnson, who served on the council from 1972 to 1996, died over the weekend at the age of 78