The city of East Grand Forks is asking utility customers to temporarily reduce the amount of electricity they are using.
The request comes after East Grand Forks Water and Light was asked by its electrical grid operator to help get customers to voluntarily reduce their consumption of electricity until Friday, Feb. 19. Doing so will help contribute to the stability of the electrical power system. The Water and Light department is not anticipating the need for forced outages at this time.
The request comes after a winter storm buried Texas and other southern states under a blanket of snow and left millions of households without power. Rolling blackouts have happened in areas in North Dakota and Minnesota, as grid operators work to restore the system.
East Grand Forks Water and Light is suggesting the following methods to reduce electricity consumption:
- Turn down electric heating 2 to 3 degrees.
- Limit the amount of hot water usage.
- Limit the use of washers, dryers, dishwashers and other appliances during this time.
- Turn off lights when not needed.
- Limit the amount of time refrigerator and freezer doors are open.
- Unplug chargers and electronics not in use.