BISMARCK — President Donald Trump declared a major disaster for North Dakota on Friday, July 10, in response to spring flooding in the eastern and central parts of the state that caused damage to roads and infrastructure.

The declaration, which came at the request of Gov. Doug Burgum, unlocks federal aid for state, local and tribal governments to repair the estimated $40 million in damaged infrastructure that the flooding left in its wake. Nearly three-quarters of the costs were tied to highways maintained by the state Department of Transportation, according to a news release.

Friday's declaration covers 18 counties, including Barnes, Cass, Dickey, Foster, Grand Forks, LaMoure, Logan, McIntosh, Nelson, Pembina, Ransom, Richland, Sargent, Sheridan, Steele, Stutsman, Traill and Walsh.

Burgum thanked Trump for granting the declaration to the state and said the federal funds could help reduce the long-term risk of flooding in local communities.

"We’re deeply grateful to President Trump for recognizing the hardship caused by significant flood damage to roads, bridges and culverts in North Dakota counties that were already heavily burdened by recovery costs from significant spring and fall flooding in 2019," Burgum said.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

Trump previously granted disaster declarations for the state in response to spring flooding and an early snowstorm last year.