Grand Forks to host State of the City meetings for all seven wards
The city of Grand Forks will host six State of the City meetings next week for its seven wards, and all will be attended by Mayor Mike Brown and each ward's City Council member.
The meetings are a part of the city's efforts to improve communication, according to Brown's 17th annual State of the City address Feb. 13. That address also highlighted downtown development, innovative work in public health and the local drone sector.
At the meetings, Brown will deliver some prepared remarks from last week's address, according to city Communication Specialist John Bernstrom.
"The idea is a smaller version of the State of the City, specific to each neighborhood," Bernstrom said. "The mayor did this last year, and it wasn't so much for ward meetings, but he went to the (Northlands Rescue) Mission, he went to the Senior Center, and a couple of places like that."
In addition to Brown's remarks, council members will have the opportunity to bring up ward-specific topics and answer questions from their constituents.
"We plan to better tell our story, introducing the great people who make the great work come alive, and providing even more channels and enhanced content to reach diverse audiences," Brown said of the community outreach during his address.
Additionally, the city has unveiled a new logo and will be working more on communicating via social media and its upcoming new website, Brown said.
• Ward 1: 7 p.m. Feb. 27 with council member Danny Weigel in the Public Works building, 724 N. 47th St.
• Ward 2: 5:30 p.m. Feb. 28 with council member Katie Dachtler at the 1015 N. Columbia Road fire station.
• Wards 3 and 4: 6 p.m. Feb. 26 in the Grand Forks Senior Center, 620 4th Ave. S.
• Ward 5: 5 p.m. Feb. 27 with council member Sandi Marshall in Choice Health and Fitness, 4401 S. 11th St.
• Ward 6: 5:30 p.m. Feb. 26 with council President Dana Sande at the Alerus Center, 1200 S. 42nd St.
• Ward 7: 5:30 p.m. Feb. 26 with council Vice President Ken Vein in City Hall, 255 N. 4th St.