No injuries were reported following a residential fire on University Avenue Wednesday morning, March 31.

Fire crews responded to reports of a fire at 2201 University Ave. around 3:12 a.m., according to a release from the Grand Forks Fire Department. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke and flames coming from the bottom of the steps leading into the home.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and removed smoke that had entered the home, the release states. The fire caused an estimated $500 in damage, and is believed to have been caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

The Grand Forks Fire Department reminds everyone to use approved receptacles for the disposal of smoking materials and to ensure homes have working smoke detectors.

The Grand Forks Fire Department responded with four engines, one truck and one command vehicle with 17 personnel, according to the release. Grand Forks police and Altru Ambulance assisted.