VALLEY CITY, N.D. — A family of four has been displaced after an explosion and subsequent fire destroyed their house and many of their belongings Wednesday night, Feb. 26.
Neighbors who witnessed the explosion, which happened at about 9 p.m., said the blast shook an apartment building across the street.
"It felt like a bomb went off," said Kyle Roelfsema, a family friend of homeowners David and Lesley Erlandson.
The explosion sparked a fire, but the Erlandsons and their two sons, 19-year-old Logan and Bo, were able to escape.
The Valley City Fire Marshal had not yet determined the cause of the fire as of Thursday, Feb. 27.
To help the family with immediate needs, Valley City Public Schools has established a benefit for the Erlandsons at First Community Credit Union.
Anyone wishing to make a donation to the fund may contribute at either the VCPS Central Administration Offices or at the First Community Credit Union.