Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Sprinklers save apartment from cooking fire damage

GRAND FORKS — A fire sprinkler system saved a building at 8 1/2 S. 3 rd Street from extensive damage due to overheated cooking oil that caught fire. The fire caused the sprinkler system to activate.

At approximately 8:50 p.m. on Dec. 14, 17 firefighters responded to a fire alarm activation with the report of water flowing in the building.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find a sprinkler head had activated over a cooking fire in an apartment unit on the second floor.

Firefighters quickly controlled the flow of water and tried to minimize water damage to the apartment and other tenants located in the building.

The apartment occupant sustained some minor injuries related to the cooking fire.

There were no reported injuries to firefighters.

Grand Forks Police Department and Altru Ambulance were also on scene assisting.

Emily Allen

Allen joined the Grand Forks Herald to cover local government and politics May 2018. Call her at 701-780-1102, email her at eallen@gfherald.com or follow her on Twitter, @Emily_theHerald.

(701) 780-1102