FARGO — Two people died and one man was arrested Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 17, after a shooting at a Fargo business, according to Fargo Police Chief David Zibolski.

One of the victims, a man, was taken from the scene to a Fargo hospital where he was pronounced dead, Zibolski said. Attempts to save a female victim were not successful, and she died at the scene.

The shooting suspect, identified by Fargo police as Anthony Reese Jr., 35, of Moorhead, turned himself in at the Fargo Police Department, about two blocks from the shooting scene.

Police said Reese was arrested and being held on suspicion of two counts of murder.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

The incident at 401 27th St. N. was reported to police at 2:10 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found the man and woman with gunshot wounds. Officers immediately began to search the building, looking for the suspect and any other potential shooters.

Anthony Reese Jr.
Anthony Reese Jr.

Medical assistance was immediately called, and the man who had been shot was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Emergency workers tried to save the wounded woman, but she died at the scene, police said.

Zibolski said the business where the shooting occurred was Composite America. It was unknown whether the victims were employees of the business.

A company called Composite America began at 401 27th St. N. in Fargo in the early 2000s. The business was sold to Melet Plastics about 11 years ago, and Melet Plastics continued to operate the north Fargo business. Messages left with Melet Plastics seeking comment were not returned.

Zibolski said officers have recovered the gun they believe was used in the shootings. Police have not said whether they know what may have motivated the shooter.

According to the Minnesota Department of Corrections website, Reese was free on supervised release in connection with a 2013 conviction in Benton County, Minnesota, for criminal sexual conduct.

Details of that case were not available Wednesday night, but online court records indicate Reese pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal sexual conduct in the third degree in Benton County District Court in 2014.

That same year, Reese was given a sentence of four years in prison, which was stayed for 15 years on the condition that he serve a year in jail and successfully complete 15 years of supervised released.

In September of 2015, Reese was found to be in violation of his probation and was ordered to serve his original 48-month sentence, with credit given for having served 521 days, according to online court records, which said that after his confinement Reese was to be on conditional release.

Online court records also indicate Reese was convicted in 2015 in Benton County for illegal possession of a firearm, for which he received a five-year sentence.

Police said Wednesday afternoon that officers were working to identify the victims, and they asked anyone with information about the matter to call 701-241-1405.