A person suspected of a targeted drive-by shooting in Grafton on Wednesday morning, Oct. 14, has been taken into custody.

Charges are pending against Juan Pablo Martinez, 30, who was arrested at 4:17 p.m. after a daylong search, according to a release from the Grafton Police Department.

Officers responded to a report of gunshots fired within city limits at 10:25 a.m., according to an earlier release from the Grafton Police Department. Investigators have learned that Martinez and the victim know each other.

The release did not say whether the victim was struck by gunfire, and, when contacted by the Herald, representatives from the Grafton Police Department and the Walsh County Sheriff's Department stated that no one was available to answer questions and that no further information would be released. The release also noted that the victim would be identified at this time.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

The release also did not clarify where the shooting occurred, but Gale Truesdell, a clerk at the Grafton Cenex Zip Trip, confirmed that it happened near the convenience store. She and two other clerks were inside the store when it happened, and she didn't learn about it until officers came in and told them shortly after.

The release did state that the investigation later "evolved" into an area near Grafton Public Schools. Superintendent Darren Albrecht said law enforcement told him the suspect was possibly in a nearby apartment.

The school system locked down at 12:30 p.m. as a precaution, Albrecht said. The shelter-in-place order was lifted after law enforcement determined there was no threat to the school, according to the release, and since Wednesday was a normal early-release day for students, the students were released as normal to their parents at 1:30 p.m.

Assisting the Grafton Police Department in the investigation are the Walsh County Sheriff's Office, the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Pembina County Sheriff's Office, U.S. Border Patrol and U.S. Customs Air and Marine.

This is the second shooting in Grafton in recent months. Grafton Police Officer Lucas Campoverde was shot in August while assisting federal agents in taking a man suspected of drug trafficking into custody. At the time of that incident, Grafton Police Chief Anthony Dumas said he believed it was the first exchange of gunfire in Grafton's history.

Wednesday, Truesdell and Albrecht agreed they had never witnessed anything like this in Grafton before.

"I've been here 17 years," Albrecht said. "I think this is the first time we've had to (shelter in place)."