An East Grand Forks woman made her initial appearance in court this week on charges of burglary and assaulting an officer.

Angela Jean Carter, 42, is accused of making an unlawful entry into a Grand Forks residence on Sunday, Feb. 16, and physically assaulting its occupants. In an affidavit written by Grand Forks Police Cpl. Jorge Elizondo, Elizondo also alleges Carter assaulted him when he attempted to take her into custody, resulting in minor scrapes to his hand and a 3-inch laceration on the back of his neck.

At her court appearance Feb. 18, her bail was set at $2,000 cash or surety.

In addition to burglary and assault of an officer, Carter has been charged with felony preventing arrest and misdemeanor assault of the homeowner. If convicted, she faces a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a $20,000 fine for the burglary, the most serious of the charges.

According to court documents, Elizondo responded to a "hysterical" 911 call that someone was attempting to enter their home. Soon after, the dispatcher informed Elizondo that the suspect had entered the residence.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

The victim told investigators that the suspect, later identified as Carter, proceeded to strike her repeatedly while proceeding further into the residence, court documents said. The victim also said two "terrified" children younger than 10 hid while three other members of the household attempted to restrain Carter.

On arrival, Elizondo wrote he found the front door of the residence was open and inside he could hear a physical struggle. When he entered the house, he found Carter striking the victim, according to the affidavit. Carter was told to place her hands behind her back, but failed to comply numerous times, Elizondo wrote.

According to the affidavit, when Carter appeared to raise her hand in an attempt to strike Elizondo, she was "pinned against the wall and forced to the ground," and she was eventually secured following a "violent struggle to take her into custody," Elizondo wrote. The struggle resulted in a minor injury to Elizondo's hand and an approximately 3-inch laceration to the back of his neck, according to documents.

Carter is scheduled to appear next in court on March 23.