About 100 lbs. of anhydrous ammonia was released into a freezer at Simplot, as a result of a leak, according to a report from the Grand Forks Fire Department.

At about 8 a.m. Saturday, July 4, the Grand Forks Fire Department was dispatched to Simplot, 3630 Gateway Drive, for a hazardous material release. Three fire engines, a hazmat response vehicle, a decontamination trailer and a command unit responded to the site. Simplot personnel were able to slow the leak from the equipment room.

Firefighters assisted by making entry for testing the level of the released product. The building was ventilated. Simplot personnel will make needed repairs.

Altru ambulance, Grand Forks Police Department and Simplot employees responded to the scene with assistance.