JAMESTOWN, N.D. - A Pennsylvania man was rescued Monday after his canoe capsized in a slough south of Medina, according to Sheriff Chad Kaiser of Stutsman County Sheriff’s Office.

Stutsman County Communications Center received a 10:55 a.m. call on Nov. 5 from a group of hunters that they could not reach one of their party, an approximately 30-year-old man in a deep slough, he said. Sheriff’s Office deputies in the area were able to reach the scene at 11:12 a.m., before other responding agencies, he said.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

Deputies Jason Falk, Brian Davis and Damian Hoyt arrived on the scene and put on issued suits that act as flotation devices and allow them to swim in cold water, Kaiser said. Falk swam about 100 yards with another life preserver and brought the man back to shore at 11:24 a.m., he said.

“The person had been in the water for some time hanging on to the canoe,” Kaiser said.

The hunter was transported from the remote slough to a waiting Medina Ambulance Service, which transported him to Jamestown Regional Medical Center, he said. Falk was also examined at JRMC and released, he said.

“The individual was getting checked over when I left but it sounded like he was doing fine and it sounded like he was getting released as well,” Kaiser said.

The hunter had been in the water for at least half an hour, Kaiser said.

“It was fortunate that nobody was hurt, just cold and wet,” Kaiser said.

The Stutsman County Dive Team and boat was also called to the scene but was about 5 minutes out from the scene when the deputies brough the hunter to shore and to the waiting ambulance, he said.

Brian Rau, a captain with the Medina Fire Department, said eight firefighters in four trucks responded to the cold water rescue call. The firefighters received word en route that the deputies had removed the hunter from the water, he said.

“We did did assist with lifting and moving the patient,” Rau said.

Hunters or anyone in water this time of year should be wearing a flotation device, Kaiser said. The slough was very deep, the water was very cold water and hypothermia will set in quickly, he said.