DEVILS LAKE-The family of a Devils Lake man who was killed in an officer-involved shooting said they're glad the officer involved has been dismissed, but still hope criminal charges are filed.

Det. Brandon Potts was dismissed from the Devils Lake Police Department on Thursday, according to Chief Joe Knowski. The dismissal was directly related to the July incident that ended in the death of 26-year-old Daniel Fuller.

"We're under the belief that he would not be an effective law enforcement officer in the community given the events that took place (in July)," Knowski said.

Fuller, who was unarmed when he was shot in the back of the head July 5, had run from officers who were responding to a report of a possibly armed suspect breaking into homes in Devils Lake, according to a summary report by Ramsey County State's Attorney Kari Agotness.

The report said Fuller lunged at Potts, who attempted to defend himself by hitting Fuller with a pistol "three or four times" before the weapon fired. The gun did not malfunction but went off when Potts pulled the trigger. The "inadvertent discharge" was attributed to involuntary muscular contraction, the report said.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

Potts had been on administrative leave since the incident.

The Fuller family had been calling for Potts' firing for months. Fuller's father, Terry Fuller, said he was "shocked" to hear Potts had been dismissed.

When he and other family members attended a Devils Lake City Commission meeting earlier this month, he said he got the feeling the city would not fire Potts.

"We just assumed it was going to be a long fight to get him fired, but then we were notified late Friday afternoon that the city fired him," he said.

Knowski said the department is treating Potts' dismissal as it would any other employee in the department.

"We try to minimize its publicity just like we would with anybody else," he said.

The case still is being reviewed by the FBI, according to Terry Fuller.

"It's a good thing, but I'm still waiting for him to be charged, so it's a step in the right direction," he said. "It took 232 days to get this far, but at least we're going in the right direction."