A chemical reaction involving bleach and drain cleaner in a house on Cherry Street lead to four residents being transported to Altru Hospital on Friday.

The Grand Forks Fire Department’s team for hazardous materials arrived at 805 Cherry St. at roughly 8:45 p.m., where residents had poured bleach into a plugged floor drain in the basement. The bleach reacted with remnants of a sulfuric acid drain cleaner, creating a chlorine gas that made it hard for residents to breathe.

Fire department personnel cleared the floor drain and flushed it with a large quantity of water before ventilating the home of the chlorine odor, while four residents were taken to the hospital.

Seven Grand Forks Fire Department personnel were on the scene, with assistance from the Grand Forks Police Department and Altru Hospital paramedics.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live