(5:30 p.m.)

Many people walked the streets of downtown Fargo surveying the damage on First Avenue. The police presence was drastically reduced since earlier in the day.

(4 p.m.)

Officials report "outsider agitators" may have brought organized riot to Fargo.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts


(2 p.m.)

Black Lives Matter organizers condemned the violence, saying the perpetrators were not part of their group.


Fargo police department instructs residents to report any vandalism caused by yesterday's protest, by calling 701-235-4493. Records staff will be taking these reports via phone until 3 p.m. today, Sunday, May 31. Reports after that time can be made Monday, June 1.

(10:30 a.m)

Downtown community partnership and city of Fargo asks the public to stay home as most of the cleanup has been completed, and to practice social distancing to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

(9 a.m.)

Gov. Doug Burgum joins Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo mayors and local law enforcement in a press conference May 31 to discuss the protest that turned into violence and destruction late Saturday night.

Downtown cleanup starts.

(7:30 a.m.)

The city of Fargo lifts curfew in downtown Fargo. Organizers of a downtown cleanup said those interested in helping can come at 10 a.m. at its base of operations, Pounds, 612 1st Ave. N.

A press conference will be held at a.m. 9 with Gov. Burgum and Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo mayors hold at 9 a.m.

(12:10 a.m.)

Follow-up events by city leaders have started to take shape. If the curfew is lifted, a cleanup effort for downtown Fargo is slated to begin at 7 a.m. Sunday, with Pounds serving as the hub for cleanup activities.

Protesters had largely dispersed from downtown, with a few stragglers still on the streets after midnight. It was rumored protesters had moved to the West Acres area.

A small group of people was reportedly seen at the Walmart on 13th Avenue South, trying to break in, but quickly dispersed after officers arrived.

(11:45 p.m.)

Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney praised peaceful protesters and condemned violent demonstrations in a statement issued late Saturday night.

Mahoney blamed destruction in downtown Fargo on "outside influencers," and said violent protesters' actions are not reflective of the city's people.

"The true Fargo was on display this morning when our community’s leaders and police officers, led by Fargo Police Department Chief Dave Todd, engaged in constructive conversations with protestors," the Mayor said in his statement.

No protesters could be seen at the West Acres mall after Fargo police earlier confirmed they were responding to reports of demonstrators gathering at the shopping center.


Fargo police said they were told by a protester that another protester had been shot in the foot. The injured protester was removed by other protesters, police were told.

(11:25 p.m.)

Fargo police are responding to the West Acres mall after receiving reports that protesters are now gathering there.

(10:45 p.m.)

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum has activated the National Guard to aid in response to unrest in downtown Fargo, city police confirmed.

Burgum is reportedly in Fargo to aid in the response to the protests, which turned violent this afternoon.

Police made yet another advance on protesters in downtown Fargo around 10:30 p.m., firing a volley of teargas as they moved forward to clear a crowd lingering near the Forum Building and JL Beers.

Police detained at least one protester.

Following the advance, an officer could be seen limping as he was led away from the line by police.

(10:00 p.m.)

Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney has ordered a 10 p.m. curfew for downtown Fargo.

(9:45 p.m.)

A line of police advanced on protesters in front of JL Beers on First Avenue North after hours of disorder in downtown Fargo.

People could be seen breaking into JL Beers and stealing beer before officers again started to march forward in an effort to disperse demonstrators.

Earlier, the police line held its position at Broadway.

Thuds and bangs could be heard as police set off flash-bang grenades and protesters set off fireworks.

Police lobbed tear gas canisters toward the crowd as they advanced east on First Avenue toward Fifth Street North, near The Forum building.


Posts circulating on Facebook reported armed white men roaming near Seventh Avenue North and University Drive in the afternoon and evening.

Fargo police reported via social media that the group had been detained and released.

(9:07 p.m.)

Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney has issued an emergency declaration in light of the riots happening in the city of Fargo. The declaration comes with the mayor declaring that the city is "in imminent danger, disorder, riot or other occurrences which will seriously and substantially endanger the health, safety and property of the citizens."

This authorizes the mayor to evacuate any buildings, commercial or residential, that he deems necessary to protect citizens. It also authorizes him to implement a curfew, as well as limit access to roads in and out of the city.

(8:47 p.m.)

A dumpster barricade set up by protesters on First Avenue North near The Forum building has caught fire as protesters smash windows of downtown businesses.

Windows at both JL Beers and the Hotel Donaldson have been broken.

The police line remains on First Avenue North at the Broadway intersection.

(8:20 p.m.)

Protesters threw rocks at officers and barricaded First Avenue North with dumpsters as they continued to clash with police in downtown Fargo.

The unrest continues after Fargo police charged protesters with shields and batons and deployed tear gas. After the initial change, police took a position at the intersection of Broadway and First Avenue North in Fargo.

Protesters barricaded First Avenue North with dumpsters they pulled from the alley behind the Hotel Donaldson. Members of the crowd drummed on them and cheered.

Police are using pepper ball guns in their response to the protests. A woman with a welt on her forehead could be seen being taken away from the police line.

(8:05 p.m.)

After several hours of demonstrations in downtown Fargo, police charged a crowd of protesters that had gathered on First Avenue North.

Protesters threw chairs and water bottles as they fled the advancing police line.

(7:55 p.m.)

Fargo police have warned protesters they will start using tear gas to clear the area if they do not leave downtown Fargo. They made the announcements to protesters at the corner of Roberts Street and 1st Avenue.

(7:40 p.m.)

Fargo Police Chief David Todd has issued a warning for protesters to disperse from downtown Fargo.

Police are putting on gas masks and grabbing shields in apparent preparation to clear demonstrators from the area.

(7:20 p.m.)

Protesters remain in downtown Fargo as a line of police continues to block off First Avenue North near the intersection with Roberts Alley.

Demonstrators reportedly threw water bottles at officers, police said.

(6:10 p.m.)

Police are warning protesters by bullhorn to clear from downtown Fargo, calling the demonstration an unlawful assembly.

A large group of protesters gathered in First Avenue North just west of Broadway as riot gear-clad police formed a line in front of the crowd.

The Fargo Police Department is asking the public to avoid downtown Fargo.

Protesters faceoff with police in downtown Fargo

FARGO — Roughly 2,000 demonstrators are still marching through the streets of Fargo and more recently West Fargo Saturday, May 30, in protest of the death of George Floyd.

Floyd, a black man, died in the custody of Minneapolis police after a white officer, Derek Chauvin, knelt on his neck for several minutes on Monday, May 25.

Floyd's death has sparked massive protests in Minneapolis and other cities across the country. Chauvin has been arrested and charged with murder and manslaughter.

The Fargo protest, which has so far remained peaceful, began at 10 a.m. at Island Park before it continued through the downtown streets, moving west 20 blocks to police headquarters at 25th Street and First Avenue North, and then south on 25th Street.

At about 1 p.m., the Fargo Police Department posted on its social media pages, asking people to avoid 13th Avenue South and 25th Street South because "the area is becoming impassable." Police later said the marchers were moving west toward West Acres mall but the group appeared to get smaller as time went on.

Protesters shouted various chants, including "I can't breathe", referring to the fact that Floyd could be heard in a video of his arrest saying he couldn't breathe as the officer knelt on Floyd's neck. Protesters also chanted "What's his name? George Floyd", "No justice, no peace" and "Prosecute the police."

Law enforcement officers in riot gear was stationed in front of Fargo police headquarters, but there have been no reports of violence.

Moorhead Mayor Jonathan Judd and Fargo Mayor Tim Mahoney interacted with protesters at Fargo police headquarters, and the crowd moved on shortly afterward.

Protesters headed west, eventually arriving at the West Fargo Police Department, where they peacefully protested for about a half hour while about 100 police officers from various jurisdictions stood watch, most wearing helmets and face shields.

At one point, there was a mild confrontation between a nearby homeowner and some protesters. A half-dozen officers calmed the situation and the protesters kept marching through the street.

Protesters of all ages, some pushing baby strollers and walking with kids, are taking part, and some people have been handing out water, snacks and masks.

Check back to inforum.com for more on this developing story.