A Grand Forks man who was arrested for driving with a suspended license tried to avoid drug charges before a social services worker discovered a stash of prescription drugs and heroin hidden in the diaper of a 2-year-old in the vehicle, according to court documents.

On March 2, the North Dakota Highway Patrol received word that a rust-colored Kia traveling west on U.S. Highway 2 was transporting narcotics, according to an affidavit filed in district court. A trooper saw a vehicle matching the description and clocked it driving at 10 mph over the speed limit. The driver initially said he did not have his license and gave a false name, but was later identified as Destry Lenoward Simmons, 52.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

Simmons had a suspended license, and was arrested, according to the affidavit. A 2-year-old child in the vehicle was taken to Grand Forks County Social Services.

A passenger in the car told law enforcement Simmons was transporting drugs to the Devils Lake area, but when troopers searched the car they did not find narcotics.

Social Services later contacted the Highway Patrol and said they found a pill bottle of suspected narcotics in the child's diaper. Inside the pill bottle, troopers found 57 Oxycontin pills and a small amount of heroin.

Simmons is making his initial court appearance Friday. He faces one count of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, a Class A felony; one count of possession of heroin, a Class C felony; and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia.

He was also charged with driving with a suspended license and giving false reports to law enforcement, both misdemeanors, in a separate case related to the traffic stop. His next court date in that case is June 15.

Simmons was arrested in February after police found eight designer bags of heroin at his residence in the 1700 block of South 35th Street, according to court documents. He was charged with possession of heroin with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school, a Class AA felony, in that case and could face life in prison if convicted. His next court appearance in the case is scheduled for June 1.