Construction equipment was used to help put out a large landfill fire Wednesday morning, July 24, near Hallock, Minn. Lancaster Fire Chief Casey Faken says the smell was "horrible."

Faken says it likely started sometime Tuesday night because he says there was a strange smell in the area, but firefighters didn't get the call to respond until 6 a.m. Thursday.

It reportedly took three and a half hours to distinguish the fire because it burned down into three feet of trash. Eventually, bulldozers helped by covering the trash with dirt.

As of Thursday, authorities were not sure what sparked the flames but think batteries or chemicals could be to blame.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts